Companionway cover grab bar?

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

reidmefirst

Companionway cover grab bar?

Post by reidmefirst »

Not sure what you call the thing, but I'm hunting for the stainless steel bar that bolts onto the companionway hatch cover. Mine has been dented pretty badly since I bought the boat, I guess the former owner dropped the boom or maybe the mast on it. Would love to find a new one that fits the standard holes to spiff up the appearance of the deck. Anybody know if there is a 'standard' part out there that fits the bill?
reidmefirst

Re: Companionway cover grab bar?

Post by reidmefirst »

Found what seems to be the 'stock' bar: Defender Marine carries the "White Water Stainless Steel Oval Grab Rail", as of 2023 sold as part number 888030. White water marine stocks it as part number 7875S.

It's made from 304 stainless which is a little sad, but I guess for freshwater that's fine. My original grab bar had a third screw, on the new one I drilled it right in the center, and then threaded the hole with a screw tap. Also had to cut the studs on the new one to match the original (threads on the ends of the stock part are way too long).

This works great. My companionway hatch now has the proper arch added back to it, and slides a lot easier and lines up with the hatch boards properly again. Hooray. Also discovered how my original got bent in the first place (bought it that way) after dropping the spinnaker pole on it during mast raising, haha. Had to drop the mast down because I forgot to put the windex on top this season.