Cracked rudder

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

rogerssp

Cracked rudder

Post by rogerssp »

Has anyone repaired a rudder cracked at the top front, rather than at the bottom of the cheek plates?
Is Phil's Foils the sole source for new rudders?
AJ Oliver

Re: Cracked rudder

Post by AJ Oliver »

Looks like several may be available on the "For Sale" tab . .

That would at least allow you to do a bit of comparison shopping.

A DIY repair of your old one might also be an option.

Good luck !!
BitterGnat

Post by BitterGnat »

Rudder Craft has a couple options. Not too sure about the kick up version, but thinking about buying one of their fixed versions.

https://store.ruddercraft.com/index.php ... uct_id=868
S2 7.9 "Super Gnat"
Hull #394
Rush Creek Yacht Club
Heath, TX
rogerssp

Post by rogerssp »

Will be attempting a repair before replacing blade.
An earlier thread (Rudder pivot hole elongated) described a bushing replacement as 5/8" ID. My pivot bolt is 1/2". The bushing sounds large or is that just to make aligning in the cheek plates easier? I am working on hull 288 in case the bolt size changed later. Original has no bushing but I have epoxyed and redrilled a couple times during smaller repairs.
Stef

Post by Stef »

I have done a full rudder repair. Had some cracks on the head of the rudder. I cut slots on either side of the pivot hole starting near the top of the rudder and around 18" long into the blade. I then installed 1/4" x 2" stainless steel bars and bedded them in blue above and below waterline interlux epoxy. Did not break through far side, so only glassed the side I cut. This repair has prevented the blade from breaking at the head (so far).
My boat uses a 1/2" bolt. There is a bronze bushing available at McMaster-Carr, 1/2" ID x 3" long, I think it's 1" on the OD, measure your rudder to confirm.
At a later date I ended up glassing the entire leading edge. Seems these rudder are built from two halves. I have fixed other leaks on the trailing edge, but the leading edge was worse. I could hear water sloshing around when I stored the rudder. Drilled a lot of 1/4" holes and kept in a warm dry place for the winter. Seems sealed for now. Water intrusion and freezing weather will exacerbate the problem.
Stef
Odyssey #146
Stef

Post by Stef »

Bushing from Mcmaster Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/6381K4
Stef
Odyssey #146