Advice for a 7.9 bottom job ??

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

AJ Oliver

Advice for a 7.9 bottom job ??

Post by AJ Oliver »

My 7.9 is in need of a bottom job.

And suggestions for products to use ??

Right now it is VC Tar with VC 17 on top of that.

Thanks
Stef

Re: Advice for a 7.9 bottom job ??

Post by Stef »

I did a complete bottom job a few years after purchasing Odyssey #146. I used PEEL AWAY to remove all of the old paints. Mostly salt water antifouling. There were several layers. This product works well, when the temps are warm enough. Under 70F it takes a long time. Warmer the better.
After everything was removed we started sanding. This was really the most difficult of the entire job. We then sanded with a long board. After all the sanding we used a recommended interlux solvent and wiped the entire bottom before applying Interlux 2000E barrier coat. We applied at least 6 coats. Timing was critical as you had so many hours to recoat for a chemical bond. The more coats, the rougher the bottom became. We ended up sanding again. After that we applied VC17M, and I usually get 2 years per application. Boat is inland fresh water lake.
If I were to do it all over again I would probably go epoxy bottom with no antifouling paint. I have a 12 foot 1 foot wide belt from indoor/outdoor carpet I use to clean the bottom before races. This would probably keep it clean enough, so wouldn't need to apply any antifouling. As I'm getting older, I really don't like laying on the ground applying paint. As you are aware, the 7.9 sits low on the trailer mking it more difficult. Unless you have access to a lift, it's a pain to paint the bottom. My boat is also on bunks. I drop the inner bunks and paint everything I can after cleaning and wiping the bottom with acetone. After it's all done and jack the inner bunks back up and drop the outers to finish it up. I also put the VC17m in a ketchup bottle and squirt some on a foam roller. Apply and repeat. Roll in one direction too.
I found with the barrier coat, if there's ANY paint or impurity left on the hull, it will eventually bubble off. So make sure you get it very clean.
Stef
Odyssey #146
cklamp

Post by cklamp »

Stef wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:57 pmAs I'm getting older, I really don't like laying on the ground applying paint. As you are aware, the 7.9 sits low on the trailer mking it more difficult. Unless you have access to a lift, it's a pain to paint the bottom.
Is there a recommended way to lift these boats?

I'm new to the 7.9 world having just bought mine about a month ago, but my San Juan 21 is just lifted from a 4*6 inserted under the cabin top using a gantry. Of course, it only weighs ~1400 lbs. Am curious how they lifted\moved these around at the factory? dual cradles under the hull? or something else from the top so you can access the entire hull without obstruction?

Later
C
AJ Oliver

Post by AJ Oliver »

Excellent question about raising the 7.9 . . .

I think various methods have been used, from rolling it over on its side to lifting with jack stands or some sort of strap/hoist arrangement.

I am totally certain that one of our experts will be along shortly to help both of us out !!

PAX
eodum

Post by eodum »

Stef wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:57 pm
If I were to do it all over again I would probably go epoxy bottom with no antifouling paint.
What epoxy product would you use on the bottom, Steph?
MnM20

Post by MnM20 »

I'm extremely happy with the results from Total Boat's Total Protect Epoxy Barrier Coat Just finished my 4th season and it's holding up great! I did 4 coats.

https://www.totalboat.com/product/totalprotect/

It's comparable to Interprotect but costs slightly less.
"Maiden Michigan" S2 7.9 #20
eodum

Post by eodum »

MnM20 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:14 pm I'm extremely happy with the results from Total Boat's Total Protect Epoxy Barrier Coat Just finished my 4th season and it's holding up great! I did 4 coats.

Interesting...so just a primer/barrier coat and no finish paint...I hadn't thought about that. I am looking for utility and durability and this sounds like a good solution. My boat had ablative on it when I bought it...kind of defeats the purpose, it seems, if you want a fast boat...not to mention, it is messy as h**l
AJ Oliver

Post by AJ Oliver »

Last spring I could not get any VC-17 so I just splashed the boat as it was.

As it turned out, the places where there was still some VC

had considerably less growth than places where there was no VC.

It was sort of an involuntary experiment.

In the spring, I'll likely go with VC again
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

Stef has you covered. I did this exact job very similar to him when I had my Capri 25.
its a huge pain and laying on your back doing the work adds to the UNFUN.

stripper, scraper, sander.
Then barrier coat!!!! that will help prevent osmotic blisters (not foolproof, just helps). The barrier coat I'd recommend is Interlux Interprotect, put at last 5 coats on, sanding between coats, waiting at least 24 hours between coats.

From there 2 great freshwater products to use are Black Widow or VC17m. I think interlux makes offshore, which is good for saltwater I defer to others on that.

as for lifting the boat... you need not lift it far right? just enough to get a chair (rolling seat) under it. nothing says you cannot lift the trailer AND the boat right? what I am getting at is blocking it and raising it with jacks. make it safe now, cause you are going to roll around under it!
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
MnM20

Post by MnM20 »

I should clarify, I put FW21 (WM's version of VC17) for antifoul every year over the barrier coat.
eodum wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:54 pm
MnM20 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:14 pm I'm extremely happy with the results from Total Boat's Total Protect Epoxy Barrier Coat Just finished my 4th season and it's holding up great! I did 4 coats.

Interesting...so just a primer/barrier coat and no finish paint...I hadn't thought about that. I am looking for utility and durability and this sounds like a good solution. My boat had ablative on it when I bought it...kind of defeats the purpose, it seems, if you want a fast boat...not to mention, it is messy as h**l
"Maiden Michigan" S2 7.9 #20
Stef

Post by Stef »

For barrier coat I used Interlux Interprotect E2000. I put on 7 coats.
Stef
Odyssey #146
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

Again Stef is on it.
Interprotect states 5 mil thickness minimum. The math says 5 coats, but honestly 2 more coats makes sure you have 5 mil throughout.

In most cases using concrete blocks under the trailer will get you enough height. You can drop 1 bunch or set of rollers at a time to paint around everything. Yep its a lot of adjusting but its doable. No easy way around getting the keel done though, best option is to get it out of the boat.
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.