Hull Construction Around Keel Trunk

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Sam Buschell III

Hull Construction Around Keel Trunk

Post by Sam Buschell III »

Does anyone know what the hull construction around the keel trunk looks like?
Is it solid glass, or cored? If solid, for how many inches around the truck?
Thank you,
Sam
Hull 500
reidmefirst

Re: Hull Construction Around Keel Trunk

Post by reidmefirst »

Solid glass, at least directly in front of the trunk. I posted a photo of my new transducer installed along with a photo of a 'core sample' of the hull where the transducer was installed, here: viewtopic.php?p=9557#p9557 . On the top of the core sample is some coosma high density foam board that was first glued to the hull, prior to drilling the hole for the transducer.

As for the sides of the trunk, or behind the trunk, I'm not 100% sure. I get the feeling that this is where the ballast is glassed into the hull though? Directly behind the keel trunk sure feels like there is metal underneath the cabin floor, extending a few feet behind, almost to the companionway steps.

Hope that helps.
AJ Oliver

Post by AJ Oliver »

Yeah, for my number 445 the db trunk is quite beefy, as well it should be . .

to the point that the DB will break before the trunk does when one (ahem) stikes something

which is as it should be since the DB repair is WAAAAAY easier than a trunk repair.

I am guessing that the builders cleverly designed it that way on purpose.

Please correct me if I am mistaken.
eodum

Post by eodum »

reidmefirst wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:02 pm Solid glass, at least directly in front of the trunk. I posted a photo of my new transducer installed along with a photo of a 'core sample' of the hull where the transducer was installed, here: viewtopic.php?p=9557#p9557 . On the top of the core sample is some coosma high density foam board that was first glued to the hull, prior to drilling the hole for the transducer.

As for the sides of the trunk, or behind the trunk, I'm not 100% sure. I get the feeling that this is where the ballast is glassed into the hull though? Directly behind the keel trunk sure feels like there is metal underneath the cabin floor, extending a few feet behind, almost to the companionway steps.

Hope that helps.
Out of curiosity (and ignorance bc I have never had to do this) but can't you put a transducer in an area that is solid glass and not have to drill through the hull?
MnM20

Post by MnM20 »

For depth, yes you can. I have this setup on my 7.9 and it works great.
"Maiden Michigan" S2 7.9 #20
reidmefirst

Post by reidmefirst »

Fascinating, I had no idea that you could put a depth sensor on top of solid fiberglass and have it still work.

In my case it also does speed through water, as well as water temp, but if I had known I might have lazy'd out and not done a thru-hull! Live and learn I guess.
eodum

Post by eodum »

MnM20 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:16 pm For depth, yes you can. I have this setup on my 7.9 and it works great.
Awesome! Do you mind me asking what your setup is? Transducer/GPS- other?
Sam Buschell III

Post by Sam Buschell III »

Thank you all for the feedback,
Does anyone know how far side to side and to the rear of the keel trunk is solid glass?
Thank you,
Sam