Companionway Washboard Guides

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

eodum

Companionway Washboard Guides

Post by eodum »

I believe they are polyethylene ... Regardless, they are past their useful life on #351 and cracked. Where can you source them now? Maybe someone has some other ideas besides plastic? I would welcome any thoughts. Thanks in advance.
SailingUphill

Re: Companionway Washboard Guides

Post by SailingUphill »

I have seen people replace them with L channel alumimum.
I personally used a solid piece of starboard, and screwed it flat against the coachroof, to hold the crib boards in place. This left the boards more loose within the slot, by like 1/8" Wasn't really enough to worry about though.

I also cut/routed my own companionway slides out of starboard, but sounds like a lot of folks here did the same. Looked pretty good in all black though.
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
MnM20

Post by MnM20 »

Mcmaster carr has the uhmwpe. I bought the desired length and thickness and ripped it to size with a table saw, then routed out the channel. Did the same for the companionway slider tracks. Then replaced the washboard themselves and the covers for the board box. If you do the board box covers, recess in cupholders. That seems to be a trend.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zwdQ367qT6WNjw2g6
"Maiden Michigan" S2 7.9 #20
cklamp

Post by cklamp »

I do believe someone is listed on the spare parts page/list as making these.

Lately
C
eodum

Post by eodum »

MnM20 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:04 pm Mcmaster carr has the uhmwpe. I bought the desired length and thickness and ripped it to size with a table saw, then routed out the channel. Did the same for the companionway slider tracks. Then replaced the washboard themselves and the covers for the board box. If you do the board box covers, recess in cupholders. That seems to be a trend.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zwdQ367qT6WNjw2g6
LOVE the photos! thank you

Great responses everyone....appreciate the help. I did connect with the guy listed on the spare parts list and will meet up with him at NOOD in St Pete next month. Problem solved.