Lifting the keel, delrin bits in the way?

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

cklamp

Lifting the keel, delrin bits in the way?

Post by cklamp »

Anyone had issues liting\pull the keel out and the delrin bits getting in the way of the deck flange?

For and aft things seem to be fine, but port\starboard things are too tight without trying to wedge the deck flange back for the delrin bits to pass by.

Later
C
SailingUphill

Re: Lifting the keel, delrin bits in the way?

Post by SailingUphill »

You talking about the ones at the top of this picture?
I recall that I had to shift the keel back and forth a bit to get it out, it was very happy to go back though. Gravity, is a bear.
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

better shot, yeah I realize I didn't need to paint all the way to the top.
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
cklamp

Post by cklamp »

SailingUphill wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:16 pm You talking about the ones at the top of this picture?
I recall that I had to shift the keel back and forth a bit to get it out, it was very happy to go back though. Gravity, is a bear.
yeah, exactly... I actually had to grind the "flap" for lack of a better word to get things out. It appears I have a little bit of delamination at the top which allowed the delrin bits to "flare out" a bit get get caught on the deck side of the mold. Called another owner who's had a 7.9 for 22 years I made contact with recently and talked it over.

Started grinding away the delamination in 30 ish degree weather, that sucked.

I don't see any issue painting all the way up if you can and might do the same since I have it up and lifted now... better protection I'd think if in salt as it splashes around up there.

Later
C
AJ Oliver

Post by AJ Oliver »

Yes, for sure the delrin guides will hang up on the flanges

lift it slowly, and have some paint scrapers handy . . to ease the board up

no hay problema !!
reidmefirst

Post by reidmefirst »

I'm prepping to actually install delrin slides on my board (they're missing, presently!).

I also saw Marc at Unbridled Sailing did a S2 6.7 keel and put just short pieces of delrin at the corners of the keel (and on each end). It's hard to tell from the photo he posted (below) but it sure looks like he chamfers the top and bottom edges of each piece, might help install and remove the board. I figure I'll do the same. The 6.7 board is allegedly 430 pounds (reference comes from the 6.9 data: http://s2-69-jollymon.blogspot.com/p/s2-69-review.html ). Not too much lighter than our 600 pound keels.