Trailer lift

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Brett U

Trailer lift

Post by Brett U »

Have any of you used this lift system: https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/p ... tail/98161

It looks like it could be a great way to prep and paint the bottom, but I'm concerned that the head won't pivot enough to sit properly on the hull.

If you have used it, where on the hull have you placed the pads.
SailingUphill

Re: Trailer lift

Post by SailingUphill »

I'd be more concerned about that much pressure in one point on the boat. If you can center 2 of them on the bulkheads maybe.

A set of boat stands might be a better investment.
My former trailer had rollers. What I'd do to paint was paint as much as I could, then I would roll the boat backward, and paint what I missed. My present tariler is a bunk trailer, my thoughts were to paint what I could, dunk the boat, move it to one side by about a couple inches, and haul it back out, and paint what I missed, then wait to dry and resplash. Its not a perfect solution but its a solution.

When I had endless time (put up for Winter) and a pole barn (inside) to work in, I would put the entire boat on jacks, so I could roll on a creeper under the whole belly of the boat. I miss my pole barn.

We have a travel lift where my boat is, it may just be worthwhile to haul the boat with it, throw it on stands, and paint it and the keel. It is certainly the boat buck option but might be useful.
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
cklamp

Post by cklamp »

That seems really expensive for what you're getting. Like SU I'd be concerned about the weight of this boat on such a small point... That could be remedied I think by a long board attached to the mounts similar to a bunk that already holds your boat, but that's still expensive.

I haven't worked it out, but i'd think a couple of bottle jacks attached to some platforms, with a lifting strap stretched acorss\under the boat, would allow you to jack the straps up, boat goes with it... clearance for painting.

Later
C
Brett U

Post by Brett U »

Just to follow up on this, I would not recommend it. The contact points are quite small and the heads do not articulate enough to match the shape of the boat. Oh well....