Bottom/Daggerboard Prep

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Brett U

Bottom/Daggerboard Prep

Post by Brett U »

I'd like to lift the boat off of the trailer this year for a proper sanding and bottom prep. Ideally, I'd do this all in my driveway. How do you guys do it? There have been some previous discussions of bottle jacks and boat stands, but I'm unclear on placement. Does anyone happen to have some pictures of the process?

I'd also really like to sand and paint the full length of the daggerboard. So, either I need to jack the hull up high enough to extend the board or I need to build a derrick to pull the board from the top. Again, any photos and recommendations would be much appreciated.
SailingUphill

Re: Bottom/Daggerboard Prep

Post by SailingUphill »

I lifted the daggerboard directly out. I used a 12 ft set of rafters to lift from. Another on here built an Aframe tied ito the mast and set on the coach roof straddling the trunk. They did it in the water as well. I think there was a YouTube of it.

As for the bottom job. Depends on your trailer. If you have a bunk trailer and it’s double bunked, you can alternate which bunk supports the boat. My prior S2 I bought a roller trailer, it allowed me to roll the boat back and forth to paint around the wheels.

You could jack up the trailer on all sides and Lower the boat onto stands. That is tricky.

If you want it really clean then have a yard lift it out and set on fin keel height boat stands. Of course they likely will also want to do the work.

Final option is to build your own derricks to lift the boat. It’s a heavy boat to do that. You can buy them too but it’s pricey. I guess a car lift could be adapted too.

I am debating this as well. I may just give up and pay the yard. I am cheap though and will more likely spend hours on my back in my gravel driveway painting what I can reach. As for the center board I plan on building out the coach roof crane.
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
cklamp

Post by cklamp »

Here's a pic of a rig I built to lift my keel up for some repairs.

Just some 4*4's, a few 2*8's, a harbor freight chain hoist, and some eye bolts. I use some old sheets with some carabiners or shackles connected to the rails. Pretty simple, more than strong enough for the 600lb keel.

Weighed mine while it was up too, 602lbs.

Later
C

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=101 ... 5159411967
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

I have FB and cannot see the rig.

This you guys?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIWAn6eoQbI
Brett U

Post by Brett U »

cklamp wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:58 pm Here's a pic of a rig I built to lift my keel up for some repairs.

Just some 4*4's, a few 2*8's, a harbor freight chain hoist, and some eye bolts. I use some old sheets with some carabiners or shackles connected to the rails. Pretty simple, more than strong enough for the 600lb keel.

Weighed mine while it was up too, 602lbs.

Later
C

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=101 ... 5159411967
This is giving a content unavailable error. Maybe the photo is set private? I'd love to see it if you can get it to post.
Brett U

Post by Brett U »

SailingUphill wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:50 pm As for the bottom job. Depends on your trailer. If you have a bunk trailer and it’s double bunked, you can alternate which bunk supports the boat. My prior S2 I bought a roller trailer, it allowed me to roll the boat back and forth to paint around the wheels.
It's a roller trailer, so I can scoot it back, but it's still a pain to work around all of those rollers. I've spent enough time contorting myself into lazarettes that I probably shouldn't mind, but I do. :)
cklamp

Post by cklamp »

Brett U wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:45 pm This is giving a content unavailable error. Maybe the photo is set private? I'd love to see it if you can get it to post.
Sorry ya'll, that sucks... I just noticed the group is private, so that's probably why you can't see it. If you're on FB and you join the group "s2 sailboats" I'd assume you could then see it.

I took inspiration from the link SU posted, but that rig is seriously overbuilt especially for me pulling it in my driveway\yard, no rocking or rolling. I think they used 4*6s, but the keels only 600 ish lbs... I just used some basic 4*4s I had laying around where they used the 4*6, and then I used 2*2*8's across the top for the pulley\lifting mechanism instead of the double 2*6s it looks like they used. In my case I just used a chain HF hoist I already had and hung it by wrapping some old lines I had around the 2*8s. I did put a small spacer between the 2*8s to prevent it from bending inward, but nary a sound in sight when I was lifting. I also ran a couple of 1*4s triangularly to prevent it racking for and aft, where it looks like they lashed it to the mast as well as the double 2*6's.

To keep it centered and prevent it from tipping port\starboard, instead of the long 2*4s the guys in the video attached to the head of the rig and ran down to the rails, I screwed in 2 eye bolts per side. Then I took some old sheets, tied one end off at at the first eye bolt and ran it to a couple of carabiners\clips on the rails and tied off at the other eye. I overtightened one side, and then the other side has a turnbuckle so I can twist and tighten the opposite side to bring the rig true.

since the weight is pulling straight down when you lift, you don't really need some massive rig to prevent it from rolling port\starboard.

Later
C
cklamp

Post by cklamp »

I can also send you a pic or two since we can't post pics here... cklamp at live .... dot com.

Later
C
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

Brett I am certainly with you. If you have a nice solid flat floor you can roll around on on a creeper its not horrific, but if you have to pull yourself along a gravel driveway (or dirt) then it becomes a huge inconvenience. Boy do I miss my pole barn.

Again I have to live this in the early Summer, will likely be dragging my boat home, unless I can convince the marina owner to let me torture myself on site to do it (again on the trailer). I have a single bunk trailer so its even harder to get to paint around them.

you cannot see it, but the multiple bunks are on the same arms so I cannot drop one down without dropping both.
Stef

Post by Stef »

4 bunk trailer. I drop the inner bunks and wipe/paint as much as I can. Jack them back up and drop outer bunks for the finish.
For the board, I have a triple masted forklift, so I pull it right out of the trunk. I lift it from the tang and a short piece of chain.
Have done both many times over the past 20 years.
Stef
Odyssey #146
reidmefirst

Post by reidmefirst »

This photo was shared on the sailing discord server (The Companionway). The photo might be disappear eventually, but for now:

I suspect it's cklamp's setup ;-).

Also holy cow, SailingUphill and I have identical trailer setups, that is eerie.
cklamp

Post by cklamp »

reidmefirst wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:34 pm I suspect it's cklamp's setup ;-).
Yup, that's my setup! thanks for posting... if anyone has question let me know... it's way more than strong enough for the 600ish lb keels we have.

Later
C