"L" shaped backing plate for starboard chainplate?

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

reidmefirst

"L" shaped backing plate for starboard chainplate?

Post by reidmefirst »

Replacing the starboard bulkhead is on my list of TODOs but I'd like to ease my paranoia with a simpler fix for this coming season.

I wonder if anyone knows of a good source for, say, an "L" or "T" shaped backing plate/bracket for the chainplate? I thought a reasonable solution until I'm ready to replace the bulkhead would be adding a backing plate that tee'd out towards the centerboard trunk. This way I could put some extra bolts into the bulkhead to reinforce things, far away from the part that is prone to rotting from leaks. Figure someone here might know of a prefab thing (pre-drilled would be nice ;-)), or know someone that can make one for me.
Stef

Re: "L" shaped backing plate for starboard chainplate?

Post by Stef »

I have never seen that, but I think it's an excellent idea!
Stef
Odyssey #146
reidmefirst

Post by reidmefirst »

Heh. I'm starting to think I'll just do my temporary solution using a medium-sized piece of plywood: pull off the backing plate, drill holes in the reinforcement plywood, get some longer bolts and attach the chainplate using longer bolts through the original (potentially compromised) bulkhead, the new reinforcement plywood, and the backing plate.

Then add a bunch of bolts through the old bulkhead and reinforcement plywood. Just make the reinforcement ply big enough that the reinforcement bolts will be a foot or two away from the thru deck that leaks. If the chainplate wants to pull up, it'll have to lever on the reinforcement ply which should (hopefully) hold just fine.

But yeah I want to replace that bulkhead, just way too lazy to actually do it (yet).
MnM20

Post by MnM20 »

I sistered 1/8 G10 plate on the forward side of the bulkhead and 1/4 G10 in the aft side. It eased my mind and should stretch the life of the bulkhead for several more years.
"Maiden Michigan" S2 7.9 #20
MnM20

Post by MnM20 »

"Maiden Michigan" S2 7.9 #20
reidmefirst

Post by reidmefirst »

Thanks for the photos. G10 sounds nice and long lasting. Might do it that way too. Heading to the boat to measure the bolts on the chainplate to order some longer ones/deal with the extra thickness of some backing material.

Glad I'm not the only one doing this ugly kludge. Better to keep the up and down thingy going up and down. When the up and down thingy goes into the wet stuff, I hear it's a very bad day and quite expensive.