Ermine White Pigments

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Sam Buschell III

Ermine White Pigments

Post by Sam Buschell III »

Has anyone mixed their own Ermine White Gelcoat?
What Pigments did you use to match the original weathered gelcoat? Black, Yellow, Etc...
Thank you,
Sam
SailingUphill

Re: Ermine White Pigments

Post by SailingUphill »

I just ordered from Minicraft of FL. They were able to figure out the pre-mix color that VERY closely matched Hull 68 for me. They ask make model and year of S2 and have the colors necessary to mix and send you a batch.

Super nice folks to work with and price was reasonable.
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
reidmefirst

Post by reidmefirst »

+1 for Minicraft/McKote. Had their smallest batch (1 pint) of gelcoat made up so I could fix a couple of chips on the deck. It was way more than I needed but that's okay. Color-match was fantastic. I was surprised since I figured 35+ years of UV exposure would make the white a bit different. I can't really tell when I touched up though.
cklamp

Post by cklamp »

reidmefirst wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:13 pmI was surprised since I figured 35+ years of UV exposure would make the white a bit different.
Definitely has on 278... Where i've removed cup holders and other items is quite a few more shades of brown than the whitish I thought it was;)

Later
C
Stef

Post by Stef »

If you have them add wax, it sands a lot better. They say it doesn't last as long. But I stored in refrigerator. A year later, still good. Two years, not so good, but i got it to work, then threw the balance away.
Stef
Odyssey #146
Sam Buschell III

Thank you for the feedback.
I was concerned about the cost and the six month advertised shelf life with the small area I need to repair.
I would like to try to do my own color matching, but don't know which pigments to start with.
Sam
Sam Buschell III

Just a quick follow up.
I got pretty close with just black, yellow, and brown pigments.