harken mainsheet traveler

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

BarryE

harken mainsheet traveler

Post by BarryE »

Hi all, So, after forty years, my traveler is about on ats last legs. I've switched out the balls a couple of times but the races in both the car and the track are getting worn and nothing slides like it should. Question: what where the original Harken car and track model numbers, and what are the equivalents that are available today, and what other "after stock" traveler systems are in use out there.
SailingUphill

Re: harken mainsheet traveler

Post by SailingUphill »

I just did this on Ragtime, and followed Stef's guidelines from previously in the forum.

I bought the 2 meter tall 22mm track.
Bought the 22mm small boat car with sheaves.
Also bought the 22mm tall end stops.
Below is the simple setup I used. I am only what 2:1, but it has worked for me in up to 20 knot true with no issues. Beats the heck out of my knuckle busting windward sheeting car in 20 knots true (I had to sit inboard just to adjust it - specifically to cleat it).

Just an observation. The windward sheeting car would be a wonderful thing if the traveler were level with the deck. Since it is not, it sure seems better to use the original setup. The only thing I might consider upgrading is the cam cleats on the combing. Putting the J22 cam cleat setup so you can release AND cleat from the leeward side (very light air setup), would be great.

Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
AJ Oliver

Post by AJ Oliver »

Some time back I re-built the traveler and used the car that Harken recommended - for boats up to 30 feet.

No way was it beefy enough.
Stef

Post by Stef »

My boat had a wood brace 1 x 4 under the track where it crosses from bench to bench. I switched it to 1 x 3 UV black acetyl.
Plenty of strength that way.
My old track deteriorated. All the balls ended up on the floor in the middle of a race. Tied it to center of traveler and crossed our fingers. Still won race.
New track has been great.
Stef
Odyssey #146
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

Stef:

The new specifications for the high beam traveler state specifically that no underbracing is necessary. Now there are advantages of having it right? Example might be if one were to move back to the original configuration where the mainsheet is fixed on a barney post type of offshoot so that one always knows where their mainsheet is, and can adjust it regardless of the location of the traveler. Hull number 68 came to me that way.

Like in this Mr. blurrycam picture of 68 before I rebuilt that traveler as well.
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.