mast stepping

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

frankfreedom

mast stepping

Post by frankfreedom »

Hello all, I'm looking for info from probably the peoples who travel with their boat. What system do you use the put the mast back in place after being on the road. I would like to get specifics, pictures material, dimension. Can i buy a kit or drawing of such system from you guys. We only do that at fall and spring, but we always have to 4 strong people to do it and currently, no system in place to prevent it from going from side to side.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Frank
cklamp

Re: mast stepping

Post by cklamp »

Check the files section of the class website (Join us>Documents). There's a diagram of what some people use, there are also a few posts in the forums here with alternative solutions that can\could be used.

Later
C
SailingUphill

Re: mast stepping

Post by SailingUphill »

I launched her myself, if that helps.
It takes a bit to get the A frame in place, but it puts me in a safe position in front of the mast
with a block and tackle that pulls the mast into place and I can even lower back down halfway up.
The biggest mistake I made with this rig was I didn't put a lock around the pintails for the EYEs I put on the mast crutch.
This is the 4th boat I've used this kind of rig on. Even used the same rig on a buddies S2 7.3 a couple weeks later.

Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.