Daggerboard Forward Plate?

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

cfaranetta

Daggerboard Forward Plate?

Post by cfaranetta »

Does anyone happen to know what purpose the steel plate on the forward top of the daggerboard is for? Is it to reduce structural load on the forward Delrin slide or is it a poor repair solution made by the previous owner? (see photo) The rusty steel plate disintegrated when I removed it. Also I plan to seal gaps in the top and side of the daggerboard to prevent water ingress---Is that a good idea? Finally, is there a recommended lubricant for the Delrin slides?

Thank you for any advice.

Chris Faranetta D2O (Heavy Water)

cklamp

Re: Daggerboard Forward Plate?

Post by cklamp »

Hey, I don't think the picture worked... I can't see it anyways, just shows a broken image icon.

Later
C
Sam Buschell III

Post by Sam Buschell III »

Hello,
I too would like to see the photo.
I replaced my Delrin slides some years ago.
I don't know of a lubricant that would work for the below waterline pieces.
Sam
cfaranetta

Post by cfaranetta »

I am not allowed to post photos. The plate is 4" square and made of steel it is screwed into the forward top of the daggerboard. Do you guys have one too or was this done by a previous owner?
cklamp

Post by cklamp »

cfaranetta wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:00 pm I am not allowed to post photos. The plate is 4" square and made of steel it is screwed into the forward top of the daggerboard. Do you guys have one too or was this done by a previous owner?
I'm no expert, only owned my 7.9 for a little over a year, but that doesn't sound stock to me. Mine just has the tangs for the lifting mechanism coming out of the top, and 4 little pieces of delrin on the top of each side that help scrape the daggerboard channel as the db goes up and down.

Not sure if you can see this video or not, but you can kind of see the top of the Daggerboard here.

https://fb.watch/q6uyl8ktgC/

Later
C
AJ Oliver

Post by AJ Oliver »

Pretty sure the plate is not stock.

Maybe someone was using it to help secure a split in the leading edge?