Another Rambling repair post - Ragtime 399

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

SailingUphill

Another Rambling repair post - Ragtime 399

Post by SailingUphill »

Last race I got a souvenir while attempting to pull a J27 off a hard grounding.
So I started that process
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
SailingUphill

Re: Another Rambling repair post - Ragtime 399

Post by SailingUphill »

Installed some seadog latches on the lazarette doors
The stupid datamarine transducers are a standard diameter, but imcompatible with the new Raymarine transducers from the multi kit I bought, so the whole shebang has to come out of the boat. Loving the fact that one was glued in with Dow 795 (black) the other was glued in with 3M 5200 (white)

Several hours of my life gone
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

Better look at the cleanup of the hole, was trying to give layers room to work, so I can lay in core and such. No choice but to do the back first then work to the outside (unless someone has a better idea)

I have since sanded out the transducer holes, and created a template for the coring material I figure I will tape off the hole from the outside, and lay coring from the inside and then start laying up fiberglass for the inside wall (to give me something for the coring to stick to).

Once the transducer holes were filed out a bit, I ran some laminating epoxy around the edges to seal it back up. I have 3M 4200 on the way to glue the new transducers back in. Boy do I know how to have a good time.

Once again cannot seem to do any of this without the trusty dremel tool and reinforced cutoff wheels.
AJ Oliver

Post by AJ Oliver »

Looks like you know more about these issues than I do, but I would be remiss
if I did not remind to to glass in everywhere around the through-hull/holes
so that if they fail water does not get to the wood.

I did some sorta similar repairs about 15 years ago - rebuilt mast step,
re-cored about 8 sq feet of deck (from below), and so on . .

It is a chore
Stef

Post by Stef »

Jeepers John. Looks like a T bone.
Stef
Odyssey #146
cklamp

Post by cklamp »

SailingUphill wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:54 pm Once again cannot seem to do any of this without the trusty dremel tool and reinforced cutoff wheels.
I love my Dremel, but if you don't have one of those oscillating multi tools, get one. They're awesome. I took out one of those through hulls in about 15 minutes flat.

Cut around the "mushroom" every 15 degrees like cutting a pie\cake, and pried the "wing" that was left up with a razor blade to cut the 5200. It was out pretty quick.

Later
C
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

Stef, full on T-Bone.
Winds were up pretty good. They grounded fixed keel 5.5' deep J27 in about 4 feet of water (imagine that, they were heeled about 30 degrees when they grounded, doing about 5 knots).

Nobody would have been able to get close to them, but me (lifting daggerboard to the rescue). I was sailing solo, so I should not have attempted it.

Ironically I DID get them off, but they were sails up hoping they could power off, well they did! Instant tack and one bounce with waves, then took off like a rocket, right alongside the channel marker, and I'm lame duck rudder barely in the water and no daggerboard, trying to steer hard away... not turning fast enough against a 15 knot headwind! I literally drifted in front of them at that point they were doing 5 knots directly perpendicular to me!

Anyway, going forward. Hole is filled, HUGE shoutout to Minicraft of FL! I send them a chunk of the hull. They did not have the beige version colormatch on file - guess what - they DO NOW! Those guys were spot on in color, can't wait to post a picture of the match.

Also I want to get one of those oscillating tools, I got every other 20V tool from Dewalt, sounds like a good addition. But I do still love my dremel.

So I need to get pictures posted here, but new raymarine i50 and i60 tridata installed. New kicker stereo. New Polk Audio speakers. I am presently rewiring the mast, because the anchor light was toast. The steaming light was toast, the wires were trashed inside the mast. Plus I had to run the cable down the mast anyway for the masthead windvane and rotovecta. I'm on a crunch to get all this done. I have about 4 weeks until my racing season starts. Technically first race is this weekend, but I'm crewing on a friends S2 7.3 (he's been crewing for me).

Anyway my projects list is extensive and I have lots of pictures to move to my website. Just wish I was getting sails. Sadly cannot afford to do it this year.
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

Hole filled from the inside, including core.
Ugly, but getting better
Filling in more and more with additives... My first time messing with creating my own fill/fairing compound

Kudos to Minicraft of FL. They did not have my S2 beige hull color as part of their standards. You folks probably know, but S2 had most of their hulls in "ermine white" but this new beige color was not one they had. I sent them a sample, and they color matched. The match is perfect! If you should need gelcoat match and your hull is not "ermine white" but beige like mine. Feel free to use my name John Schramm as I am sure they kept the formula on file (as I asked them to), so you can get a premix from them.

Thanks to Stef here, for the suggestion of having them add wax.

I do not have any pictures of my gelcoat stages, but its coming, I am almost done gelcoating now (so these pictures are from a couple weeks ago).
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

Slowly filling the hole
I'll skip steps here, cause its fill, fair, fill, fair, fill fair, until we get almost to level.

Better yet (still no gelcoat)

Liking this now

Side Project, electrical getting goin, new instruments (that actually work)
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

NOW we see some gelcoat, see that match is pretty good!
Will get more pictures after gelcoat level is corrected

Instruments are in, and working... obligatory radio installation from Kicker

We'll get pictures of new masthead light, and steaming light too, cause they were all toast too (all new wires too).