PSS dripless shaft seals (inboard)

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

fleck
Minister of propaganda and lies

PSS dripless shaft seals (inboard)

Post by fleck »

Has anyone tried PSS shaft seals instead of a stuffing box. As soon as our stuffing box settles down we trailer the boat, the stuffing dries and we have to start over again.

Other than 'burping' the seal each time the boat is put in the water, this looks like a good solution to the dripping stuffing box.

Any thoughts???
Bob Fleck
Horizon 484

Post by Guest »

I'm curious too. I've replaced the packing only twice in the 15 years I've had the boat, but the dripping has occasionally gotten severe enough that I added an automatic bilge pump to the engine compartment. I feel better now.

Jim Kloss
S27.9 #8
Ambivalence
G Rehe

PSS Shaft Seal

Post by G Rehe »

I just bought a PSS Shaft seal. Will be installing soon, so no performance feed back yet. I was impressed enough with the item to spend the money. Will let you know as the season progresses.
I also sent my Martec prop to the manufacturer for refurbishing. Came back looking like a new one. Will let you know if I notice any performance improvement (BMW D7).
Greg Rehe
fleck

Which model number

Post by fleck »

Greg,

Which model number did you order, and where did you get it from. Pyacht.com has the lowest price that I have found. I think I'll be stuck with the stuffing box at Mid-winters and then put the drippless in before the NOOD. I fear I'll be spending next weekend shoveling a path through the yard to get the boat out. :cry:
Bob Fleck
Horizon 484
G Rehe

PSS Shaft Seal

Post by G Rehe »

Bob,
I special ordered through West Marine.
I ordered the standard speed unit for 3/4 inch shaft and 1 3/4 inch log.
The part number #01034134 (note 01 for standard, 34 for 3/4 shaft, 134 for 1 3/4 Log).
Be sure of your shaft and log dimensions.
The unit is of the same length as the original stuffing box. It should fit easily in the available space.
Greg
Jeremy Smith

PSS, it works well

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I installed a PSS on my C&C29 six years ago and it has proven to be dry and maintenance-free. I believe it would be the ideal solution for a boat that is stored dry.

Jeremy
#519 Kaboom, crew
dopierce

PSS Shaft Seal

Post by dopierce »

I installed one last season on my 7.9. IT WORKS! The bildge is dry for the first time! I installed it while I had the engine out for maintence. I'm not sure I could have put it in with the engine there. The good news is the engine came out rather easily. It dripped a bit during the break-in period but with in a month ( I don't motor much!) it was dry! Woo Hoo!
fleck

PSS shaft seal post install

Post by fleck »

Well, I figure I'd better post an after action report on this topic.

I decide the tues night before Lake Norman to swap the stuffing box(like I didn't have anything better to do). The bad news, it was 35 degrees. The good news, I had a heater in the boat. How long it has been since the shaft has been removed from the coupler, will determine how much pain you will endure working on the backside of the engine. PSS suggests to unbolt the coupler and insert a spacer behind the shaft and rebolt the coupler together pushing the shaft out . It works but there is very little space so you need to repeat this method several times with a larger spacer each time. There isn't a lot of room so you have to be patient. Once the coupler is off, remove the old stuffing box and give it a toss. Then clean up the shaft being carefull to deburr the keyway. Slip on he seal, adjust, tighten and presto. The break in period resulted in very little water and now its dry. Very nice. Thanks for everyone's help.

later
Bob Fleck
Horizon 484
Coldduck

PSS installation

Post by Coldduck »

I was wondering if anyone experienced difficulty installing the PSS seal. I recently tried to install one on my S2 and failed miserably. The Orings would cut each time I tried to slide it on the shaft. I tried putting a bevel on the end of the shaft and I even epoxied the keyway closed to prevent the gasket from extruding into the key opening. With the keyway filled and polished there was too much friction to even get the collar onto the shaft past the first seal.

After cutting a dozen orings I went back to packing. :( :evil: :shock: