Keel lift purchase

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

sj24

Keel lift purchase

Post by sj24 »

Ive seen several referances to a 4:1 purchase for lifting the board, but haven't seen exactly how to do it. Anyone have a diagram or parts list? I saw one post where someone said they drilled a hole in the top plate and terminated the line with a stopper knot. Has anyone else done that?

Thanks,

Kevin
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

Kevin,
I will try to get some pics of our setup when we start spring commissioning next week. Basically, The line starts at a ring on the underside of the deck plate, goes down to the upper sheeve of a fiddle block on the board, up to the block under the deck plate, down to the lower block of the fiddle on the board, up to the turning sheeve int eh deck plate. Then it is led to a cheek block to turn back to the cockpit, thru the stopper. This is a 4:1 setup, we use a 3/8" line.
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
sj24

Post by sj24 »

did you have to have the ring welded to the stainless support plate? And what fiddle block did you use? Pictures would be great when you have time to take them.

Thanks,

Kevin
LarryE-old

purchase

Post by LarryE-old »

Just for grins I have played around with different purchase. 2:1, 4:1 and
6:1. 2:1 to hard, 4:1 not great but we can live with it and 6:1 takes to long.
I am now looking at the fact that my shims might be slightly to tight. First chance I get I am cutting of .015 per side, from the shims to see if this helps.
Real fact is I have been sailing these boats since 82 and I just believe that every year the board gets heavier. Really I think it's old age. And not the boat.
Purr-Fect
John Spierling

Post by John Spierling »

I have sailed on boats with 3:1 and boats w/ 4:1. I would stay at 3:1. We are at 3:1, and 17 cranks (w/ Lewmar 16 2-speed winch) and the board is up. At 4:1, it takes 54 cranks (w/ Lewmar 30- 2 speed winch). 4:1 maybe slightly easier, but the time it takes with 4:1, you can use a calendar to measure it. You may want to pull your board out and make sure the daggerboard box is clean and smooth. Also, make sure your shims are attached correctly and the screws holding them in are countersunk into the nylon and not sticking out and gouging the inside of the box.