Dagger Board "Shark Bites"

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

AJ Oliver

Dagger Board "Shark Bites"

Post by AJ Oliver »

Dear 7.9er's -

In a few days I'm going to pull out my dagger board to repair a split in the front as well as a "shark bite" or two along the rear edge. The bite is about three inches deep and four inches long. Can anyone give me a few tips on how to make this repair? Is it best to use only expoxy, or should I strengthen it with glass? (I am aware that one does not want to make it too strong lest it damage the trunk in a grounding.) I would appreciate any and all advice.

By the way, we now have four 7.9's on Sandusky Bay.

Y'all stop by for a visit at the Sandusky Sailing Club.

Thanks,

Skip Oliver
SSC Rear Commodore
# 445 "Class Struggle"
Sam Buschell

DIY Lift Keel Repair

Post by Sam Buschell »

I have done this repair.
I used glass fiber and would recommend it to you.
My thought was the area is pretty thin and needed the extra structure glass fiber would offer.
It is a good idea to grind out the surrounding area so you can overlap the cloth with the existing glass.
I undersized the structural repair so I could fair it out and make it match the rest of the board.
Also If the repair is too large it may bind in the trunk opening.
I made a template of the surrounding area to use as a guide.
Best of luck.
Sam
Tom Elsen
Site Admin

Board

Post by Tom Elsen »

AJ
I've used both the 3M marine High Strength Blister / Repair and a VC Underwater epoxy product for this. The 3M is easier to work with. The VC is harder, but I've liked it better.
Don't worry, you're not going to damage the trunk.
Be sure to 'carve out' a sufficient area so that you get good adhesion with the repair, and so that you get rid of any wet material inside. It's a good idea to contact the manufacturer or an experienced retailer to get specific advice on the best way to apply / finish the product you're using.
And be certain to remove the board very carefully. You'll need 6 - 8 wide putty knives to shim the delrin guides as they approach the top of the trunk. Go VERY slow at this point.
Best wishes,
Tom
AJ Oliver

Thanks for the Help

Post by AJ Oliver »

Dear Sam & Tom -

Thanks for the advice. The repair is now completed, and it went off without a hitch. The boat is now in the water at the Sandusky Sailing Club.

I hope that sometime I can return the favor.

AJ Oliver
Sandusky Sailing Club