Standing Rigging Questions

We request that you register on the site to post here. Replies to posts are open to all.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Dale Eager

Standing Rigging Questions

Post by Dale Eager »

I am replacing my standing rigging and want to make sure I get things done right the first time.

With my old rig my lowers would run out of adjustment if I extended the forestay to the full 31'8", so I was running about 31"6 - 31'7". How much shorter should I have the new ones made? Assuming the old ones are fully closed now, do I tell them I want the new ones to be 3/4 open at the current closed length, or do I just have them centered?

For the forestay do I have them make it to 31'8" toggle to toggle with the turnbuckle adjustment in the center, or since it never will be over 31'8", do I have them make it 31'8" with the turnbuckle 3/4 open (assuming I would never want to go longer, but might need to shorten it).

Thanks in advance.
Coup de Vent #43429 (hull #43)
Norwalk-ROTC

Post by Norwalk-ROTC »

We went cruising about the http://www.geocities.com/dopierce/79.htm site and found a lot of information on standing and running rigging in the brochure and owner's manual sections - downloadable and printable. All of the dimensions are listed.
Dave Grover

forestay length

Post by Dave Grover »

Class rule A1.C.10 gives the max length as 31 ft - 8 inches from the centerline of the mast tang pin to the centerline of the stemhead pin.
You will want your turnbuckle to have more than half of its adjustment at that length so that you can shorten it if needed.
Note that the tensions on the shrouds and the backstay will affect this length to some extent. Some boats require a toggle to get the length.

Dave Grover
Prime Time 138