Movement of upper shroud thru spreader tip

We request that you register on the site to post here. Replies to posts are open to all.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Tom Cassidy 352

Movement of upper shroud thru spreader tip

Post by Tom Cassidy 352 »

I developed some slight compression in my upper shrouds where they pass thru the spreader tips. The local rigger doesn't think it's serious enuf to replace but he says that the cause was the opening at the spreader tip through which the shroud passes. It's so tight that it squeezes the shroud. His opinion is that the shroud should be able to move through the opening. He's not saying that it should slide thru easily but that it should not be clamped in place. I've gotten conflicting opinions from several guys one of whom is a 7.9er. What's the consensus? On close reaches and beam reaches the leeward shrouds would some times look like limp clotheslines even after tuning with the Boston guide. Thanks for all help. Tom Cassidy 352
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

Tom,
We rig with the shrouds clamped into the spreaders. We have an old-style mast ('86) and we annually check the shrouds for wear and fatigue. The slight compression from clamping is not of any concern for us. I would rather have that than any chafing wear from the shroud moving. Also, the spreader bracket at the mast would fatigue quickly if the ends of the spreaders moved up and down at all. The design appears to need a rigid triangle in the upper portion of the shroud rig.
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
dave

Post by dave »

I agree. The whole idea is for the spreader to bisect the angle of the shroud from both attachment points. If the spreader tip is free to float, that ain't happening. The clamping issue on the cable is moot, IMHO. Crimeny, that's how a swage fitting works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sure, that's [supposedly] even pressure all the way around but the small amount of pressure made from clamping the upper into the spreader tip does less damage to everything than sliding back and forth.
sj24

Re: Movement of upper shroud thru spreader tip

Post by sj24 »

My shrouds easily slide through the spreader tips. There is about 1/16 clearance all around. So this should be tight?
LarryE-old

Post by LarryE-old »

Just went throught this, reinstalling the repaired spreaders today.
Welded up the spreader and tip, ground smooth and redrilled with an undersize 3/16 drill. Look good as new.
Purr-Fect
dave

Post by dave »

A few layers of heat shrink tubing slid over the stud and up to the proper point would probably do it too. Shrunken one at a time so that you could build some thickness, it should take up the slack. It will of course wear through but only where the pinch point is, so the spreader should want to stay there. Larry's solution is the most long lasting of course.