Standing rigging

We request that you register on the site to post here. Replies to posts are open to all.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

dave

Post by dave »

Well both of us are wrong. I meant to print 29' 6" [not 29.6'] because the actual measurement from the Class Rules on this site is 29.5', which is what I meant in the first place.

2.5. SAIL SPECIFICATIONS: Note: The head, tack, and clew of any sail is defined as the intersection of the projected
sides, except for the heads of the mainsail and jibs. (See Definitions) The intent of the sail weight restrictions is to
insure that the sail is of sufficient strength and durability to be used at the upper wind range (i.e. 18 Knots
apparent wind for the #1 genoa) and last for at least two racing seasons.
The Base for all sail measurements shall be the following:
P = 29.5' (29' 6")
E = 12.25' (12' 3")
I = 30.5" (30' 6")
J = 9.5' (9' 6")
orion27

Post by orion27 »

Looks like a ratings hit to me :wink:
Tom Dignam
"Misfit"
dave

Post by dave »

1.2" is 1.2"................................................ 8)
myarb

Re:

Post by myarb »

dave wrote:Well both of us are wrong. I meant to print 29' 6" [not 29.6'] because the actual measurement from the Class Rules on this site is 29.5', which is what I meant in the first place.

2.5. SAIL SPECIFICATIONS: Note: The head, tack, and clew of any sail is defined as the intersection of the projected
sides, except for the heads of the mainsail and jibs. (See Definitions) The intent of the sail weight restrictions is to
insure that the sail is of sufficient strength and durability to be used at the upper wind range (i.e. 18 Knots
apparent wind for the #1 genoa) and last for at least two racing seasons.
The Base for all sail measurements shall be the following:
P = 29.5' (29' 6")
E = 12.25' (12' 3")
I = 30.5" (30' 6")
J = 9.5' (9' 6")
I need some help here fellas. My local PHRF committee is asking for measurements I'm unfamiliar with: Ic ,Jc for the headsail, and SL,SM for the spinnaker. Anyone have that handy?

Thanks
dave

Re: Standing rigging

Post by dave »

Just ask them, that way there's no wiggle room when you tell them that someone else told you! ALL of those measurement points are in your local PHRF bylaws, and if they aren't, your local PHRF committee is a bunch of yahoos!!!! :roll: 8) :lol:
myarb

Post by myarb »

dave wrote:Just ask them, that way there's no wiggle room when you tell them that someone else told you! ALL of those measurement points are in your local PHRF bylaws, and if they aren't, your local PHRF committee is a bunch of yahoos!!!! :roll: 8) :lol:
Must be yahoos, because it is on the form for ME to fill out.
dave

Post by dave »

That's not what I meant. All PHRF areas have bylaws and the bylaws are printed and online. Those will TELL you what the abbreviations mean . I know what all four of the abbreviations stand for but the ONLY one that's the same as those used in our area is JC. That's why you need to look in your bylaws and make sure YOURSELF of what you're putting on your applications. :wink:
myarb

Post by myarb »

Oh, Ic and Jc are corrected I and J for fractional rigs. I don't know what that is, if anything for the 7.9. I tole ya, this is all new stuff to me; I used to race a masthead rig with the rating taken directly from the USPHRF handbook. I could ask them i guess, but I would rather look stupid in front of a bunch of strangers on this board than in front of them. :P :shock:
dave

Post by dave »

Are you REALLY telling us that your local PHRF association isn't online????? I could be very wrong but that's almost an impossibility. Have you looked?

It's not my purpose to be flip with you on this, only to educate you and others and ultimately help you in the best way possible. One day you may thank me. :wink:

This is no different than racing a boat and having almost no knowledge of the rules. Without knowledge of and on either of these points, you WILL wind up being screwed AND you won't have a satisfying experience!
Bruce Baker

Post by Bruce Baker »

This is a semi-related question. I just put new standing rigging on my boat. As I was setting it up, I wondered "what happens if you break a forestay on this boat?" My old Catalina 25 had lowers both forward and aft. I did break a forestay on that boat, and the mast did not come tumbling down. I wonder what would hold it up on an S2 7.9.

Thanks
Bruce Baker
GIT-R-DONE #430
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

Good question Bruce. If you have a headsail up, the halyard would be the thing holding the mast up after the stay goes.
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
LarryE-old

Post by LarryE-old »

Tim,
Years ago we broke the forestay on Purrfect in about 20kts, with higher gust.
Turned downwind right away and got the spin halyard attached to the bow. Dropped the jib and sailed home. No other damage.
Luckly for us home was downwind.
Purr-Fect
Bruce Baker

Post by Bruce Baker »

When I read the maximum headstay length is 31'10", I assume that means pin to pin?

Thanks,
Bruce Baker
S/V GIT-R-DONE
Bruce Baker

Post by Bruce Baker »

So what is the legal forestay measurement? In the posts below, one says 31'10" and another says 31'8". I looked in the class rules, and I don't see the forestay measurement. I guess I could calculate it, but my trig is pretty rusty after two decades of non-use.

Cheers,
Bruce Baker
GIT-R-DONE #430
normbue

Post by normbue »

While we are on this subject, On the 7.9, How important is mast prebend? On my masthead boats I thought it was important for sail shape. But does the adjustable backstay override the prebend?