Help !

We request that you register on the site to post here. Replies to posts are open to all.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Captain Frank

Help !

Post by Captain Frank »

:oops: Just sailed my new 7.9 for first time.

I hanked on the 150 genny and attached the tack to the hook just behind the forestay and tightened the jib halyard. The foot of the genny is up against the lifelines :?
I then attached a tack line and hoisted the genny higher and to the top pulling on the jib halyard, then tightened the tack line(pullling downward on rope attached to forstay hook). Looks better but still the foot is on the lifelines.

Question 1: how am i supposed to attach the tack on the genny ?

Question 2: How do I use or run the ropes to use the flattening reef on the mainsail.
Do I use separate line for cringle toward clew and additional line for cringle near tack or what :oops: :?

Is there a download for a manual available anywhere?

Thanks everybody !
BarryE

Post by BarryE »

Well Frank;
There should be a pair of hooks on either side of the of the bow plate.
This is where your tack your genny. When you hoist, your leading or luff edge should be somewhat taught.
The foot is generally inside the lifelines when sailing upwind, usually trimmed in about an inch or two off the base of the shrouds, or an inch or two off the speaders up top. (these are gross generalizations of course)
The genny does sweep the deck.
The lead car for the sheets is back near the back edge of the cabin, or maybe an inch or two forward depending on the wind.
When reaching, or sailing downwind, your genny will be up over the lifelines.
I have rollers mounted on my lifelines at the first stanchians, to assist the sail in flopping over the lifelines.
I don't use a flattening reef. So I can't help you there, there is a rigging diagram (of sorts) in the three pages of the owners manual.
Check the website in the info section.
dave

Post by dave »

Go back 11 threads and read "Missing specs on outhaul". You should be able to glean what you need about the flattener from there. GOOD sails aren't cut with the ridiculously full bottom sections and draft forward shape like the original Norths were, and many others were back when. If your outhaul is rigged properly AND maintained properly you should be able to get the foot plenty flat with the outhaul, then if you still need to remove shape down low have someone really wail on AT LEAST a 10:1 boom vang, while standing and using their legs. The bottom WILL get flat!!!!
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Re: Help !

Post by Tim Bosma »

Captain Frank wrote::oops: Just sailed my new 7.9 for first time.

I hanked on the 150 genny and attached the tack to the hook just behind the forestay and tightened the jib halyard. The foot of the genny is up against the lifelines :?
I then attached a tack line and hoisted the genny higher and to the top pulling on the jib halyard, then tightened the tack line(pullling downward on rope attached to forstay hook). Looks better but still the foot is on the lifelines.

Question 1: how am i supposed to attach the tack on the genny ?

Question 2: How do I use or run the ropes to use the flattening reef on the mainsail.
Do I use separate line for cringle toward clew and additional line for cringle near tack or what :oops: :?

Is there a download for a manual available anywhere?

Thanks everybody !
Frank,
Yes, the genny and the jib sweep the deck.
as for the reefing line, ours is run as:
A bowline is tied around the aft end of the boom just ahead of the main clew.
It runs up through the aft reef point cringle.
It runs down to a sheeve in the end of the boom.
It runs inside the boom to a cam cleat at the goosneck.
When reefing, the tack is affixed to the hook on the gooseneck.
We have 3 reef points in the sail that have a small diameter line in them that are used to tie up the reef bundle along the foot of the sail.
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477