Traveler line and jib sheets

We request that you register on the site to post here. Replies to posts are open to all.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

GCushing

Traveler line and jib sheets

Post by GCushing »

What type and size of line should be used for the traveler?

Also, I need to replace the jib sheets and would appreciate information on line diameter, manufacuturer and who to buy from if this is best ordered on line.

Regards,

George

carey

Post by carey »

Call JSI or Layline both have been very helpfull.I have 3/8 endura sheets with J lock shackles that are flog proof,and far as a traveler I used 3/16 stay set.good luck. Carey
GCushing

Jib Sheets

Post by GCushing »

Any thoughts on 5/16ths vs. 3/8ths? Will the smaller line present any problems with cleating off the line? Endura.

Thanks,

George
Jim Kloss

5/16 vs 3/8

Post by Jim Kloss »

5/16 works fine for jib sheets; just check that the breaking strength of whatever you choose is equal to the standard 3/8 Sta-set. Some people stay with 3/8 for a better grip.

5/16 tends to slip in the halyard clutches though, and that's something you have to watch or address with a short piece of "cover" spliced over that section of line.

Jim Kloss
s/v Ambivalence
S2 7.9 #8
GCushing

Post by GCushing »

Thanks for the reply.
John Spierling

Post by John Spierling »

Traveller line: 1/4" Maffioli. Great stuff.
SeanR

Post by SeanR »

I've used Apex. it runs a little fat and fuzzes some. Easy to grip.

SeanR
Windtamer
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

for jib sheets we use 3/8" trophy braid (Samson) it works well in our self tailers. I redid our windward sheeting traveller in 5/16" Sta-Set a couple of years back, The main trimmer loves it.
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
Marionete

Traveler control line

Post by Marionete »

I agree with tim's recommendations of 3/8 for genoa and 5/16 on the traveler. We recently rebuilt the traveler -new track and car and 3/16 is too heavy and binds in the standup blocks. 5/16 flows through the hardware much more freely and is still heavy enough to get a good grip on for your main trimmer. 1/4 in is just too small in my opinion.
Runaway
1982 #23
T Olsen

Post by T Olsen »

We have raced the boat very competetively for a long time and in my opinion, Samson 3/8" XLS Extra is the most bang for the buck for jib sheets. A bit slippery until you get it broken in but after that it is really good. Our grinder is Mongo and he still prefers a 3/8" line over 5/16".

The traveler does not need hi-tech line because it is so short. Stay-Set 5/16" or 3/8" is great for that application. You did not ask about mainsheet but we use 5/16" Stay-Set, as the lengths are not long from block to block to need a really hi-tech line and it is critical to lessen the resistance through the blocks for downwind sailing. We use a tripple block at the boom most of the time which creates a lot of friction and the 5/16" helps lessen drag.

Best of luck,

Tom
GCushing

Post by GCushing »

Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,

George
Bob Kirsten

Question for Runaway

Post by Bob Kirsten »

What new traveler and car did you go with? I have replaced the recirculating balls in the original Harken, but it is still not moving well. I used to have the Harken on my old J24 that self releases, but did not like it in light air and sloppy chop. Also, did you keep the same purchase on it, or add blocks?

Thanks,

Bob Kirsten
Bob Kirsten - DD Mau
North Star Sail Club, Michigan
robert_kirsten@hotmail.com
dave

Post by dave »

A tip that I will pass on to y'all about "slipping" clutches. I found out years ago that if you keeps the bearing surfaces of the cam and the axle that the cam rides on in the clutch well lubed, the cam will do it's job because it closes ALL THE WAY, instead of hanging up when only partly down due to friction. If your clutches are very hard to close without pulling the line through at the same time, it's almost certain that the cams are hanging up this way. With proper upkeep the handles will close easily and the line won't slip one bit, as long as it's not too small for the clutch. 8)

:arrow: :arrow: Dave, thanks. This is a great tip, likely to save at least a few of us some significant hassle. Tom
GCushing

Traveller

Post by GCushing »

Bob,

I went with the Harken car and had to replace the track with the new style track to replace the "old" style track on the boat.

This turned into a bit of a project, not too difficult, but time consuming.

I stayed with the same block set up that was on the boat when I purchased it. Sorry but I don't know what the set up is specifically.

Regards,

George
Mark Gutteridge

Post by Mark Gutteridge »

We had the original traveller car on Hunting Party blow up in a good blow of 20 knots.
We replaced the small boat track and car with the Mid-Range Harken suff.
No worries now.
Chimo;
Guts.