Barber Hauling

We request that you register on the site to post here. Replies to posts are open to all.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

normbue

Barber Hauling

Post by normbue »

In these forums, I've seen mention of Barber hauling, Could someone explain when to use it, the process and belays, And the expected results?
SailingUphill

Re: Barber Hauling

Post by SailingUphill »

Page 4 of the PDF in the link... Generally you'd B-haul when the breeze picks up, or you are in a chop.
http://tinyurl.com/p6m68p6
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
normbue

Post by normbue »

Thanks, But I was more interested in using one on a Genoa. I've read and heard about using them. but I'm not sure if it attaches to the sheet or the clew, and where it belays to, and to verify that the object is to change the shape of the slot.
Tac Boston

Post by Tac Boston »

the only time I would barber haul the Genoa is on a leg in a non windward-leeward race. If you are fetching or Genoa reaching for an extended period of time. We would just move the twing attachment back and use it as the barber hauler. you want to pull the sail outboard and forward a bit.
normbue

Post by normbue »

Really!! Thats just the opposite of what I thought it meant. I thought, or was told it was to position the clew more inboard to control the slot opening. OR is "Barber Hauling" a term for adding another adjustment point on a sail, and can be used in any direction.
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

Its a way to keep the leach straight without having to move the genoa cars forward... for reaching. It does nearly the same thing as tweakers/twings, except in this case on the genoa sheet to reduce twist from an eased sheet.
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
Tac Boston

Post by Tac Boston »

you can't inhaul the genoa well enough on the 7.9 to even bother rigging all the stuff you would need. Barber Hauling not only pulls the lead forward but out board to open the slot when fetching or Genoa reaching.
normbue

Post by normbue »

Is a Snatch Block on the rail OK? Or do you use a pole rigged somewhere? And, what is a twig??