Jack Pole (Stern Mast Support)

We request that you register on the site to post here. Replies to posts are open to all.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Jack Pole (Stern Mast Support)

Post by Tim Bosma »

I know there are several different 'Jack Poles' around the class. I'm referring to the pole that you place on the pintles to support the mast while raising. Would any one care to share a design for one of these?
Thanks,
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
SailingUphill

Re: Jack Pole (Stern Mast Support)

Post by SailingUphill »

Just stumbled across this, but thought I'd reply in case anyone else looked at it... this is what I did...

Its one flat 2x4 (center) about 4 feet high).. with (2) 2x4s 8' high on either side turned flat... the boards are bolted through with 5/16" threaded pipe in 3 places, bottom, middle and top, at the top I made it wider, and used a piece of PVC pipe to act as a "roller" for the mast.

I used 3 eye-bolts through the center 2x4, spaced exactly the same apart, so I'd have a HIGH setting, and a low setting for the support... the High setting would be for mast raising/lowering, the low setting would be for travel on the road.
It might make more sense to see it here...
and perhaps this
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
sailor536

Post by sailor536 »

I've attached a few pictures of the mast support for my boat. The stern support has three brackets which allow the mast to be level for trailering or lifted up for a steeper angle when the boat is covered for the winter. The rollerblade wheels really make the mast slide back n' forth easily. The stern support also has small wooden blocks to make it easier to climb into the boat.

The bow support fits nicely on the bow pulpit and locks the mast down with a hinged wooden bracket.
Attachments
IMG_0730.JPG
IMG_0728.JPG
IMG_3486.JPG
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

This worked out perfect for my boat. Thanks for posting specs!
Attachments
image.jpg
Stef

Post by Stef »

Here's my telescopic pole. I add a line from the top loop just under the roller to somewhere on the cabin top. Pole is about 6ft, then extends to about 10ft. Gets the mast way up! Used regular pintle bushings as not to damage the pintles. Photo of the two poles is them pulled apart.
IMAG0245.jpg
IMAG0244.jpg
IMAG0243.jpg
Stef
Odyssey #146