Roller furling on 7.9

We request that you register on the site to post here. Replies to posts are open to all.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

LarryE-old

Roller furling on 7.9

Post by LarryE-old »

I would like some feedback from anyone who has roller furling on their 7.9.
How does the boat sail? What make furler do you have? What size sail?
Purr-Fect
BarryE

Re: Roller furling on 7.9

Post by BarryE »

Hi Larry; I added roller furling several years ago. I use a Harken model 00Al its and older model and I'm sure there are newer incarnations of it available. I installed it myself. I had a new forestay made up, and saved the old one with its tuff-luff track for quick refit if needed. I also had Spike (Boston Sails) make up a 135 jib just for the roller. It's a great sail and just the right size for the double handed, or short crew sailing I usually do. Reasons for the change were twofold; a few years back I suffered a small stroke that left me gimpy in the right leg, the wife banned me from the foredeck, the wife suffers crippling arthritis and I've restricted her to the cockpit. When I do round up another person or two they are usually non-sailor types and for all considered, roller furling made most sense. Port Huron PHRF gives me a 6 sec credit for racing. I did add a small eye-strap to the mast just below the halyard exit block to divert the fall of the halyard slightly off center so that it does not foul the other halyard. Hope this was helpful.
BarryE

Post by BarryE »

Hi Larry; I added roller furling several years ago. I use a Harken model 00Al its and older model and I'm sure there are newer incarnations of it available. I installed it myself. I had a new forestay made up, and saved the old one with its tuff-luff track for quick refit if needed. I also had Spike (Boston Sails) make up a 135 jib just for the roller. It's a great sail and just the right size for the double handed, or short crew sailing I usually do. Reasons for the change were twofold; a few years back I suffered a small stroke that left me gimpy in the right leg, the wife banned me from the foredeck, the wife suffers crippling arthritis and I've restricted her to the cockpit. When I do round up another person or two they are usually non-sailor types and for all considered, roller furling made most sense. Port Huron PHRF gives me a 6 sec credit for racing. I did add a small eye-strap to the mast just below the halyard exit block to divert the fall of the halyard slightly off center so that it does not foul the other halyard. Hope this was helpful.
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

I'd add that if you are buying new, and ever plan on racing, consider the Harken Mark IV RF.. it has an easily removable drum so you can use the track like a tuff luff, and could slap on racing sails when you wanna race, and slide back on the RF sail and drum when you are done (for when you just want to use a RF)...

I do enough day sailing solo I've considered this option myself. I'd have to convert my 100, and 155 to luff tape as the prior owner preferred hanks, and it's a big investment, I believe $1600 for a new Mark IV.
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
BarryE

Post by BarryE »

Sorry about that key bounce double post. My 00AL roller from Harken was a version of their MK III roller. The MK IV or what ever is current would be the way to go. I can remove the drum on mine and go with my one design sails if I want to as well.
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

Barry good info, didn't know the III did that as well. Do you find the extrusion is overly wide for racing sails?
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
LarryE-old

Post by LarryE-old »

Good information here.
Barry, seems like we are in the same boat, so to speak.
My wife has always done foredeck, since we started sailing together, some 40+ years ago.
Last year she had a full hip replacement. Didn't race all last year. This spring she took a nasty fall in her first race back. It took almost a week for us to determine that she was going to be OK.
So I'm look into easier ways to do things, as I just have to admit that we can't do things like we used to.
Thought about selling the boat but don't really want to do that. Neither does she.
Purr-Fect
LarryE

Post by LarryE »

Getting very close on this decision.

Tac, Doyle/Boston, suggested Harken or Furlex.

Harken tech guy suggested ESP Unit 0.I have had good luck with Harken, in the past.

Anyone using this model? No need for double grove, as I won't be changing jibs underway.
LarryE

Post by LarryE »

broke down and ordered the Mark IV unit 0