Repairing Outhaul

We request that you register on the site to post here. Replies to posts are open to all.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

AJ Oliver

Repairing Outhaul

Post by AJ Oliver »

Several of us have outhauls that work badly, or not at all.

Any tips for getting inside the boom to do the job?

Thanks in advance . . Sandusky Sailing Club
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Re: Repairing Outhaul

Post by Tim Bosma »

I just re-rigged ours this year to give us more purchase. Let me see if I can walk through it from memory:

pigtail from mainsail clew around boom end with double block attached.
a double block with becket at mast end of the boom.
first inner tackle from mast end becket to pigtail block (sheeve 1), back to mast block (sheeve 1), out to pigtail block (sheeve 2), ending 1/2 way back in a single block.
second inner tackle from mast end becket (same as 1st inner) to first inner (single) block, back to mast end block (sheeve 2) and out of slot in boom to cam cleat mounted on bottom side of boom.
direction of pull is aft.

thanks,
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

I rig the whole thing outside the boom and drop it in from the aft end, then I need small hands to attach the double with becket to the mast end of boom.
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
MnM20

Post by MnM20 »

I just did this project as well. Get a good electrical fish tape to aide in getting stuff in the boom.

Like Tim, I rigged mine outside the boom as well then pulled the whole kit through the boom from aft forward to rig it up.

I think mine calculates out to 5:1 and it seems to be OK.

The mast end has a double and the clew end has a double with a becket.
"Maiden Michigan" S2 7.9 #20
FEVER

Post by FEVER »

This is a fifteen year old thread; but there is one word that hasn't been mentioned during all those years that need to be shouted loudly: CASCADE !

I just removed the factory outhaul purchase from my boom. I was nearly impossible to use. There were
the factory Schaefer double blocks, one with a becket and one without. The 36 year old 5/16" line was
almost petrified and wrapped around itself.

All the hardware makers' catalogs illustrate how to install various items you need on your boat using their
products. They are generally helpful; but they help their sales and bottom line first and the customers
second.

The four to one outhaul purchase could have been installed using only two single blocks, much less line
and without most of the drag that the two double blocks induced into the system.

GOGGLE "Cascade purchase" and read about it. Learn to use it and save money and effort.
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

please note that the first post in this thread is dated Aug 07, 2017. less than a yr old!
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
AJ Oliver

Post by AJ Oliver »

Thanks for the good advice !!

Much appreciated !!

AJ Oliver # 445
Sandusky Sailing Club
FEVER

Post by FEVER »

Tim Bosma wrote:please note that the first post in this thread is dated Aug 07, 2017. less than a yr old!

You got me there! I must have seen the OP's "join date" and mistaken it for the original post date.