How fast

We request that you register on the site to post here. Replies to posts are open to all.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

LarryE

How fast

Post by LarryE »

How fast have you gone sailing your 7.9.
We had a beer can race last Sunday and it was blowing 27 with gust to 34, per NOAA.
We had a triangle with a upwind leg of 1 mile, with 2 fairly close reaching legs. Twice around the course.
We were sailing with a reefed main and roller furler 135.
On the two reaching legs we were constantly doing 7.6-7.9 Knots on the Speed Puck, GPS.
Just can't get it past 7.9.
Great sailing even if it was COLD, around 60 degrees.
AJ Oliver

Re: How fast

Post by AJ Oliver »

We've had ours over 8kts but only for a few seconds at a time, surfing down the front of waves.

Where we sail (Sandusky Bay, Ohio), we could not match your speed because with that much wind we would have
big chop and/or waves.

As an old fart I no longer willingly sail upwind in that much air . .

Enjoy it while you can !!

Where do you sail?
LarryE

Post by LarryE »

We sail on the east coast of Florida.
We are in a somewhat protected area of the ICW, so no real big waves.
Seems like the high sevens is the limit for us, hit the eights only rarely and only for a few seconds.
Have the same forecast for Sunday, except from the SE, where we get more chop. Warmer 77 deg.
Going to try a smaller jib with full main. Have a real small jib, that I made several years ago, just for day sailing.

PS I'll be 70 in April.
AJ Oliver

Post by AJ Oliver »

I was doing great until I hit 71 - then I stepped on a halyard up by the mast, rolled it over, and blew up my quad tendon.

And then the enforced immobility led to other issues . .

Most ironically, I had always stressed the "don't step on the halyard" lesson to newkie saliors.

sail that 7.9 every chance you get !!
TBoston

Post by TBoston »

13.6 downwind, back in the MORC days with the chicken chute and the board up! We had our pit dude with his hand on the board line ready to demon drop it! Hit that speed, browned up the undies and dropped the board. Great times oh to be 18 years old and stupid again :)
Clampett

Post by Clampett »

I also hit 13 in the Neptune Race in Va.Beach
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

Had Hull #68 up to 11 knots before a thunderstorm on a reach on Lake Wallenpaupack, verified with phone GPS (lake has negligible current, and going the opposite direction).
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.