pictures of boom vang and cunningham

We request that you register on the site to post here. Replies to posts are open to all.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

upgradingdave

pictures of boom vang and cunningham

Post by upgradingdave »

If anyone has pictures of boom vangs and/or cunningham rigging, would you mind posting?

I don't have a Cunningham rigged and interested in any tips for setting it up. I'm also interested in seeing how both rigid boom vangs and normal vangs are rigged.

Also, for those of you with a rigid boom vang - do you keep the vang attached when you unstep the mast?

Thanks for the help,
Dave
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Re: pictures of boom vang and cunningham

Post by Tim Bosma »

we put an extra cheek block on top of the port side line sorter and run the vang (5:1 on vang) back to the cockpit on cabin top.
Attachments
Pic 2
Pic 2
Pic 1
Pic 1
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
upgradingdave

Post by upgradingdave »

Interesting, thanks Tim!
MnM20

Post by MnM20 »

My boat has something similar but for the cunningham. On top of my deck organizers are two cam cleats to make a double-ended cunningham. Doing so prevents the need for someone to get off the rail to make the adjustment. I'll grab a pic this evening of the setup if I remember.
"Maiden Michigan" S2 7.9 #20
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

the cunningham pictures finally arrived. it is a 2-part setup, sorta hard to describe, but here goes:
upper part - bitter end is tied off to ring on mast, from there upwards to hook in sail luff, downward to end in a single block (red part in pics)
lower part - bitter end is tied to becket on black at mast base, from there upwards to block of upper part, downwards to block at mast base, the led out to line organizer and back to aft edge of cabin top, cam cleat there.
Attachments
upper part
upper part
lower part at mast
lower part at mast
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
wkwtucson

Post by wkwtucson »

I am also getting ready to rig my vang leads back to the cockpit too.
I need to add another cam cleat for the back of the cabin top on the port side.
I will also replace the original 1982 vintage cam cleats on the boat including the ones for installed on the front of the boom for the reefing tack line, since this cam cleat one is no longer spring activated for closing down on the line after pulling in.
My boat is stored hundreds of miles away and so I am looking for recommendations for replacing the cam cleats with another or the same that have exactly the same center-line distance to the existing fastener holes, since I want to match the holes on the boom (that is metal).
I believe the old hardware is Schaefer.
I was looking for info under the web site documents and in the forum, but have not found it yet.
Can any one help specifiy new cam cleats to fit the old holes?
These Schaefer cam cleats look similar: Sure Grip Small Stainless Steel Cam Cleat 70-29 …..at a whoomphing $95.05 a piece.
kevin in tucson az
hull#29