Anybody convert to masthead asymmetrical spinnaker?

We request that you register on the site to post here. Replies to posts are open to all.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Dr.M

Anybody convert to masthead asymmetrical spinnaker?

Post by Dr.M »

I went to Seattle on Monday to pick up my new standing rigging. I’ve added a Harken Mark IV furler to the boat, permanently raked the mast, and converted to a flicker and Dynema backstay. I spent time at a couple of sail lofts to begin the process of picking a sailmaker. I’m considering adding a sprit (e.g. Trogear, Selden) to fly asymmetrical sails (spinnaker, Code 0), and my rigger asked me if I had considered converting to a masthead spinnaker halyard to help separate the jib from the sails flown off the sprit, potentially open the option for inside tacking those sails, and let me fly slightly larger sails. Has anybody on here done anything like this?

Thanks
Steve
Dr.M

Re: Anybody convert to masthead asymmetrical spinnaker?

Post by Dr.M »

Looks like I'll be the first... Not sure if I need to add jumper struts or not; many boats do not. The 7.9 has about 42" of unsupported mast above the shrouds. Even though I just bought new shrouds, maybe I should go back and attach the main shrouds closer to the mast head. But, I've sailed boats with jumpers before, and I think they do a better job.
BarryE

Post by BarryE »

Hi; to my knowledge no one has modified a 7.9 quite as much as you are proposing but some of the mods have been tried by some with mixed results.

#1 I and a few others have an a-sail but use it with the stock halyards and do not have a bow sprit. It is of no real advantage in racing and use it primarily when I'm cruising alone or with my wife. Its easy and convenient, but not really faster.

#2 a few people have added a dedicated spinnaker halyard. Some have mounted it just above the forestay and a few have mounted it near the masthead. Those who have put just above the forestay did so because they were unhappy with the way the regular halyard chaffed across the forestay when using a spinnaker . Those who put it near the masthead were attempting to use a masthead spinnaker. With mixed results.

#3 I wouldn't change the placement of the sidestays. Leave them alone. You'll be changing the load dynamics of the rig. That could cause other problems. That last few feet of mast is strong enough to take almost any sail you wish to put up there.(within reason) A few boats were produced with masthead rigs but with a different mast extrusion and double spreaders. Those boats also carried a masthead forestay and sails.

#4 The hull shape on the 7.9 pretty much limits your max speed. Adding more sail area won't produce any significant gains and just adds to your load and could even over stress some components. You'll likely spend more time on your side than you'll want.
#5 The real value of the boat is its popularity as a one design and PHRF racer. The changes you suggest would compromise those qualities. The changes your suggesting might actually lower its overall value of the boat a make it less attractive on the used market.

Hope this helps.
MnM20

Post by MnM20 »

I'm pretty sure that #64 had masthead kites. I was just a kid when the boat was moored next to my folk's boat. But if i recall that's what it was.
"Maiden Michigan" S2 7.9 #20
FEVER

Post by FEVER »

Before cutting into your boat I would suggest that you look at and study the differences between fractional and masthead
boats.
Look at the fore and aft placement of the mast in both. You will notice that masthead boats carry a larger percent of their sail area in the foresail and less in the main sail because the mast is stepped farther aft (Longer "J" / shorter "E").
Larger jibs and Genoas are harder to manage (more crew) than the smaller ones on a fractional boat as sheet loads are higher
The boom of the masthead rig is shorter and the mainsail area is smaller than a similar size fractional boat.
A square foot of sail area in the main is easier to produce lift with than a square foot of a Genoa, based on the s/f of the main is usually controlled by the skipper with the help of the boom.
If you are still interested in converting to a mast head rig, ask the owner of a good sailing mast head rig (say a San Juan 24) if you go for a ride on his boat. Ask him to drop the job and show you how well it sails to windward under the main alone. Let us know what you think.
I've had several masthead rigs and many fractional rigs. I'm a big fan of fractional boats. Masthead? Not so much.