3DI Sails

We request that you register on the site to post here. Replies to posts are open to all.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Clampett

3DI Sails

Post by Clampett »

Hull 465 is going back to racing Trim after a 5 year break.As a class are 3di Sails legal?Looking forward to racing her again.
Dr.M

Re: 3DI Sails

Post by Dr.M »

Since there is no class racing on the west coast, I invested in 3Di Nordac sails for hull #45. I went with Nordac because my boat is mainly used for fun... and I really like white sails better than the dark colors showing up, these days. The 3Di main has 2 full battens up top and two partial battens down low, so no, it would not be class legal. The genoa is a 140% that is mounted on a Harken Mark IV furler. North adds "reefing marks" to the sail and foam inserts along the luff to aid in proper furling and draft location when "reefed." The Nordac cloth has no seams, and the sails were built on North's curved table outside of Reno, Nevada. They did the S2 7.9 insignia as the original text was designed. The darn main is plastered with tell tales, so even I should be able to tune it. I had the main built with slugs for easier hoisting and only one reef point. IMHO, they are very well built sails and I suspect they will be faster than the old Mylar/Kevlar Ulmer Kolius sails that came with the boat. I ordered an asymmetrical spinnaker that will fly from a sprit. I've raised the spin halyard 18". The spin is the same size as that used on a Melges 24. I'm using a North sock snuffer on the spin. I'm also reregging the boat. As I mentioned, I've gone with a Harken furler. We put Ronstan calibrated turnbuckles on the upper and lower shrouds as is commonly done on J24s here in the NW that need to get off a trailer quickly. I had Chris Tutmark build the rigging, and he supplied the ratchet wrench that is used to tighten/loosen the turnbuckles. We added a GRP kicker and Dyneema backstay, too.

I worked with Jack Christiansen, who owns the Seattle North Loft. Jack is fantastic to work with and has a wealth of knowledge. I've know him since our time at the University of Washington where he was one of our All-American sailors in 1985 (along with Charlie McKee). If you live in the NW and are interested in North Sails, give Jack a call. Chris Tutmark did a great job on my rigging and is also very knowledgeable (my boat has benefited from tricks used in other classes).

So, maybe I haven't helped you at all, but, now you know there are other boats using 3Di sails...
Regards-
Steve