mainsail suggestions

We request that you register on the site to post here. Replies to posts are open to all.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

upgradingdave

mainsail suggestions

Post by upgradingdave »

Hi all, the racing mainsail that came with my boat when I bought it fell apart last season and I'm in the market for a new one. This is the first time I've ever bought a sail and not really sure where to start.

I read thru the section about mainsail in the class rules:

https://s279.org/Documents/S279ClassRules1-1-2020.pdf

I race in phrf fleet in chesapeake bay so I guess I don't have to stick to those rules, but eventually, I might want to join a class race.

Can any sailmaker make a sail that meets the class regulations? I've seen Doyle mentioned a lot on the forums, is that the most popular for S2 sails? Any suggestions on your favorite mainsail? Do you have reefs?

Thanks!
Dave
BarryE

Re: mainsail suggestions

Post by BarryE »

Hi Dave;
Spike Boston and his family (Brad and Tac) at Doyle/Boston Sails have been sailing and winning in the 7.9 since they first popped out of the mold. They probably know more than anyone. Located in Point Edward, Ontario (just over the bridge from Port Huron, Michigan) I'm sure they can help you out.
upgradingdave

Post by upgradingdave »

This is really helpful, thanks!
Pete

Post by Pete »

I have had good luck with Quantum sails Detroit. Ask for Wally Cross. He spent a lot of time developing sail shapes with folks in Holland Michigan. He has great knowledge.
Jay

Post by Jay »

We've had all of our sails cut by Bay Sails (main, #1, #2, #3) and chutes. They have a loft here is Sodus Point, NY, but I think they also have a loft in Ohio. Locally they're housed in Katlynn Marine.
Jay