Spectra Backstay

We request that you register on the site to post here. Replies to posts are open to all.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

BarryE

Spectra Backstay

Post by BarryE »

I know that several boats have switched over to a spectra backstay and a multi part block and tackle, but I've not yet seen a difinitive list of parts and specs for the whole system.
Can someone out there who has made the switch, please describe in detail with measurements, and part numbers, maybe even a diagram of the whole assembly? Don't forget the masthead "kicker" that was the cause for the change in the first place. What are you using for a kicker, and how are you mounting it?

BarryE
Tom Line

Post by Tom Line »

Well, as to the kicker, west marine sells orange battens (not in the batten section) that worked ideally for me. They start out 8 feet long and quite wide, but a dremel does nice work on them. I played with mine to get the right thickness so that it bent correctly. I'm sure there's an off-the-shelf batten you can use instead. Ask your local sail maker. You'll want this thing about as stiff as you can get it.

I really don't want to go out in the snow, but my total batten length was around 40 inches. 4 inches of that was overlapped on the mast. I used two 3/16 aluminum rivets with washers to attach it to the top of the mast. I drilled a hole right through it to mount my windex.

At the end of the batten I drilled two very small holes and threaded once of the small (1/32) cords through the holes, and used that to attach a single harken micro block. My spectra backstay runs through it. It's actually near equal weight to a ring, and it's got a lot less friction.

The backstay itself is 3/16 AMSTEEL (SK60 Dyneema, which is the Japanese trade name for spectra). The purchase lines are 3/16 Trophy Braid. That's 3/16 without a cover. Layline sells it pretty cheap. (www.layline.com)

The purchase is 16 power, cascaded. The top block is an H2600 carbo block. All the other blocks, the three single blocks and two double blocks are all bullet blocks of the H082 (single) and H084 (double) variety.

I won't claim to have had the lengths just right - in the last fall series race upwind in 20 true I was block to block and wished I had a few more inches to pull it in.

You will want to put a little teflon or packaging tape on your backstay where your mainsail hits it or you will end up fraying it, especially if you have velcro batten pockets. The kicker will not keep the backstay off the main when you crank it on full, and the mainsail fluttering will beat up the spectra etc.

To get the lengths close, I raced twice with knots. When I knew I was pretty close, I took the whole thing to the local boatyard and asked them to splice where the ropes tie onto the bullet blocks, with thimbles. The bullet block edges can be sharp. I also had them splice onto the airblock, as the turn around the metal ring on the airblock is too tight for the spectra line.

I can email a sketch of the purchase to anyone who wants. You do not need to change your existing cleats for it to work.[/img]
Tom Line
Hull 421
Grrr...
8)
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

We used the kicker from a Melges 24, available at Melges Boat Works, Zenda, WI. Henry at Layline, (1-800-542-5463) has a list of everything else you'll need for a VERY clean, VERY easy installation.
Smitty
Gargle Blaster #352
Steve Smith

Post by Steve Smith »

We worked closely with Henry at Layline, he's got the system "down" if you don't want to reinvent the wheel give him a call.

Steve Smith
Gargle Blaster
Steve Smith

Post by Steve Smith »

Ya beat me Smitty!
BarryE

Post by BarryE »

Thanks guys, exactly the info I was looking for. It looks like I'll be giving Henry a call.

BarryE
Sam Buschell

Spectr Backstay Questions

Post by Sam Buschell »

Steve,
Did you go with a pinch style setup or cascaded?
Is it double ended? Any photos?
How did it work for you?
Sam

Post by Guest »

Sam,

We went with a cascade. The system is AWESOME. I do have pics that I can e-mail to you but we're on our way to KWRW and they're on my desk top. We'll be back 1/23, I'll send them to you then. Take care.
sawalt

Post by sawalt »

[quote="Anonymous"]Sam,

We went with a cascade. The system is AWESOME. I do have pics that I can e-mail to you but we're on our way to KWRW and they're on my desk top. We'll be back 1/23, I'll send them to you then. Take care.[/quote]

Could you e-mail me the pics? I'm thinking about switching to spectra myself.
Scott Awalt
Sugar Magnolia
BarryE

Post by BarryE »

Steve,
Henry at Layline sent me pictures of "Gargle Blaster". It has the cascade system and the specra backstay assembly, contact me via my e-mail address and I'll forward them.
I'd post them here, but I have no idea how to do it.

BarryE
#11 Aeolus
sawalt

Post by sawalt »

I'm looking into replacing my backstay with 3/16" Amsteel Blue above the adjuster. Is the kicker needed or can I shrinkwrap the line where chafe could occur?
Scott Awalt
Sugar Magnolia
Rudeman

Post by Rudeman »

sawalt wrote:I'm looking into replacing my backstay with 3/16" Amsteel Blue above the adjuster. Is the kicker needed or can I shrinkwrap the line where chafe could occur?
Hi Scott,

We are using 3/16" Amsteel Blue above the adjuster on #312 - Thus far all is well; no kicker has been required and we using a Doyle Class mainsail.

We know have some our website up and running about our 7.9 program at:

http://www.windchaseryachts.com/windchaser-alberta.asp
Jeff Bonvallet

Post by Jeff Bonvallet »

Better check rule A2.C.15. You can only switch to Spectra or similar if you use a kicker.
Jeff Bonvallet #539
John Spierling

Post by John Spierling »

Barry E., if you would like to see a Spectra backstay set up w/ kicker, drive over to Sarnia and look at REBEL. We are at Lake Huron Yachts, well 15. It's coming out of the water on Saturday, 6/11, to go to Chicago NOOD. It will be back in the water for LHYA reggata. Hope to see you out for LHYA.
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

When rigging the eyesplice ends of the new lines for the backstay and cascade, did you use thimbles or just a Brummel Splice, or splice directly onto the blocks? I'm thinking of using shackles to attach the blocks since I can then end-for-end the lines each season to evenout any wear. I think thimbles will retain the strength of the line through the turn better than without. Any comments?
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477