Mainsail Downhaul?

We request that you register on the site to post here. Replies to posts are open to all.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

glennmul

Mainsail Downhaul?

Post by glennmul »

Hi,

I am a newbie and I just can't seem to find the main downhaul on the boat. I bought the boat used so maybe it's missing, but I just don't see anything. If anyone can let me know where it is, or where it is supposed to be, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Glenn
Sea Fever 515
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

Hi Glenn,
The main downhaul is also named the cunningham. Ours is led from a ring on the mast to a spot about 10" above the tack of the sail down to a becket of a block. Another line starts at the base of the mast, up through the mentioned block down through another block at the base of the mast and leads back over the cabin top on the port side to a cam cleat near the companionway.
I hope this helps. e-mail me if you need further help.
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
David E

Post by David E »

A downhaul is used to tension the luff by pulling down on the gooseneck of small boats. A cunningham serves the same function essentially, but by hauling down the luff on a boat which has a gooseneck that is not easily adjusted. Additionally, the cunningham is attached to a cringle on the luff instead of the gooseneck, as in the case of a downhaul.

I think I have that right.
Life is not a spectator sport.