Keel Repair Cart

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Quinn McCarthy

Keel Repair Cart

Post by Quinn McCarthy »

We have developed a cart for holding the keel when we are working on it. It only has 1 atachment pount which is a chain on the keel stem, otherwise it hangs freely. It has heavy duty caster wheels on it and can be easily rolled into a garage or wherever. It was welded up from 1 1/2" square tube and can be disassembled for storage. We usually use a log loader for taking the keel out. Just attach a length of chain to the keel stem and lift it out and down to the ground where the cart can be moved into position and the bolt secured through the chain. You can also put a plywood desk on the cart for other uses when not being used for the keel. If anyone is interested in pictures or drawings please let me know.

Quinn McCarthy
Rainy Lake, MN
~~~~~Quinn McCarthy~~~~~
~~~~-Born 2 Run #545-~~~~
wined up toy

keel stuff

Post by wined up toy »

yea bring it on
David E

Post by David E »

Please show us.
Life is not a spectator sport.
fleck
Minister of propaganda and lies

Post by fleck »

Here are two of the pics that Quinn sent me...

Bob Fleck
Horizon 484
Quinn McCarthy

Post by Quinn McCarthy »

The picture I have total about 3.5 mg. I can certainly send them to you.
~~~~~Quinn McCarthy~~~~~
Quinn McCarthy

Post by Quinn McCarthy »

David E and WIned up Toy ... Let me know where you would like the pictures sent.
~~~~~Quinn McCarthy~~~~~
Tom Elsen
Site Admin

Cart

Post by Tom Elsen »

Hey Quinn

How do you get the centerboard in / out of the cart?

Are the native or invasive species taking those big bites out of your boat? Whatever they are, please keep 'em up in 'the Falls'.
Best wishes,
Tom
DaveR

Post by DaveR »

what's that diagonal "brace" that goes from the tang to the to of the keel?
fleck

Post by fleck »

BTW.

I decided that an engine hoist works pretty well.

I use the marina small boat cranes to lift the board out of the boat and lay it in the bed of the truck (on some padding). Once home, I use the lift to get the board out of the truck and lay it on the ground(or workbench). I can also hang the board from the hoist to work on all sides at once.

The hoist takes up a little more floor space than Quinn's rack while in use, but it folds for storage.

Hoists run 100-200 bucks at Pep Boys or Advance Auto.
Bob Fleck
Horizon 484
LarryE-old

cart

Post by LarryE-old »

I have a gator that swims around my boat. Now I know why I take the board up when I'm not sailing.
Purr-Fect
Quinn McCarthy

Post by Quinn McCarthy »

Tom

one of the ends on top is open. It is hard to see in the 2 pics posted here but while the keel is hanging there you can just wheel the cart with the two top braces to the hole in the top brace where you put the bolt through.

The damage you are seeing was coused by the Laurenthian shield. The oldest rock on earth. For being so old it moves pretty quick. It just reached out and grabbed us before we could react.
~~~~~Quinn McCarthy~~~~~
Quinn McCarthy

Post by Quinn McCarthy »

Dave R

We were having problems after we got the boat with the tang lining up with the slot in the lifting mechanism so I put that on so it was always allighen correct.

Fleck

The steel and caster cost about 100.00 and we were able to get it welded for a case of beer.
~~~~~Quinn McCarthy~~~~~
fleck

Post by fleck »

Quinn,

Currently I live just outside of Washington, DC. So, when you factor:

Environmental impact study.
Energy assessments.
Labor agreements.
Hazardous disposal fees.
Public opinion poll to see what color to paint the stand.
Construction permits for mobile gantry over 8 inches tall.
etc

It is cheaper to buy something built by the Chinese and shipped around the world.

I miss the simple life.
Bob Fleck
Horizon 484
Coldduck

Hand Truck

Post by Coldduck »

I recently refinished my keel and used a hand truck to move it around and store it. Other than having to stand it up to flip it over it worked well. When I wanted to flip it over I would place blocks under the front and back edge to allow me to remove the hand truck and put it on the other side.

The hardest part was getting my wife to move the hand truck while I held the keel upright. I found that if I stood the keel up first and called for help she usually came running.

I think it was a lot easier sanding and long boarding the keel it when it was laying flat as opposed to having it upright. When I was refinishing the keel I had it blasted and I epoxy coated it. When I was long boarding the keel I found there was a low spot that ran front to back about half way up the keel on one side. I am curious if anyone else found the same.
Sam Buschell

Post by Sam Buschell »

I used an engine puller that I borrowed from a friend.
It was very convenient.
Using it I was able to lift, lower and flip the keel from one side to the other by myself.
Next time I do the keel I will buy one of my own.
Sam