Spectra Backstay

We request that you register on the site to post here. Replies to posts are open to all.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Tim, Layline did mine, they used thimbles.
Smitty
Gargle Blaster #352
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

Thanks,
We have purchased all the parts and I plan to assemble it this fall. I will publish a document of materials, construction steps, with costs and pitfalls when we are done.
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
BarryE

backstay

Post by BarryE »

I finally got pictures;
At the cost of one non-floating digital camera I was successful in finally getting some good close up shots of the new backstay installation.
I used it through the season, and sail trim was much improved over the older pinch style system, especially in heavy air. I've also dug out the sales reciept from Layline and can relay pictures and price to anyone who wants.
Mounting the battan at the top required drilling a couple of holes in the backstay crane, but that only took a few minutes, the rest is just "shackled" together.
Rudeman

Post by Rudeman »

Hi Barry...I would be interested in looking at your pictures and could also post them on our website so others could view them. Our email is windchaseryachts@shaw.ca Thanks,

Rudy
Tom Elsen
Site Admin

Post by Tom Elsen »

:arrow: :arrow: I asked, and Barry has graciously agreed to do an article with photos for the next newsletter. You'll see photos and commentary in the Class Act in a couple of weeks.
Best wishes,
Tom
Fred Chadsey

Tuning and rigging

Post by Fred Chadsey »

Please define what a "kicker" is. I'm getting a quote from Layline for Spectra Backstay System, but don't understand the "kicker" or it's installation. Help
S2 7.9 hull # 467
Tom Line

Post by Tom Line »

Fred,

A kicker forces the backstay away from the back edge of the mainsail and makes it easier to tack in light and medium air. Look at some pictures of Melges 24's, you'll see a batten fastened to the top of their mast. The backstay is run through the block.

http://www.northsailsod.com/class/melge ... seille.jpg

There's a picture with one, though it isn't doing much since the backstay is full on. You can get the batten from melges.
Tom Line
Hull 421
Grrr...
8)
Fred Chadsey

Back stay rigging, Spectra

Post by Fred Chadsey »

Got anwser to "kicker" Thanks
S2 7.9 hull # 467