2008 Chicago NOOD's >> New Information posted

Post details and contact personnel for regattas & other sailing events.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Jeff Bonvallet

2008 Chicago NOOD's >> New Information posted

Post by Jeff Bonvallet »

Who's planning on attending this year? Attendance has been dropping for the last couple of years, lets see if we can get it back up to the 17 or 18 boats we had a few years back. I assume we'll be out of Belmont again this year. Much nicer YC to sail from. Easier launch and park right next to the marina, cheaper too! Great Regatta and a good way to start off your season. No T-10's to deal with!

DASH will be there!
Jeff Bonvallet #539
richrand

Post by richrand »

T-10s! Montrose Harbor! Corinthian YC! w00t!! God, I miss those guys.
CHA CHÁ CAT #90
Tom Elsen
Site Admin

Chicago NOODs

Post by Tom Elsen »

We'll be there. Come on down guys!

Let me check with the organizers to see if they're putting us on the North course.

For those who haven't been up at the Belmont Station before, it's a great deal. Easy in / out just south of the clubhouse. Easy parking for car AND for trailer right next door. So you have easy access to all of your stored regatta gear if need be. Great facilities including breakfast. Great docks. Downside is that the parties are a 6 1/2 mile cab ride away.

Jeff - If I can influence the decision, would you rather be up North at Belmont or south at Monroe? Everybody else?
Best wishes,
Tom
Jeff Bonvallet

Post by Jeff Bonvallet »

I's rather be at Belmont. It's nice being the "Big" boat on the course!
Jeff Bonvallet #539
1rich

2008 chicago noods

Post by 1rich »

Hi, What are the dates for the race? What hotels are close? Would be coming from the twin cities. rich
Jeff Bonvallet

Post by Jeff Bonvallet »

The Regatta is June 13, 14 & 15. There are dozens of Hotels within walking distance of the Chicago Yacth Club. Check out Priceline for the Loop Hotels.
Jeff Bonvallet #539
Jeff Bonvallet

Post by Jeff Bonvallet »

OK! Let's Go!! Online registration is open. Goto http://www.sailingworld.com/nood_regatt ... cation=601
and get your registration in. Let's get to our 8 boat minimum by the end of the month. Great regatta in a great city!!
Jeff Bonvallet #539
Tom Elsen
Site Admin

Post by Tom Elsen »

I just got the 'final' word from the organizers on arrangements for the 7.9s in Chicago this year:

We will definitely sail out of Monroe Street. The Etchells class will have about 50 boats on the northern course. They'll be the only boats up at the north station.

We'll be with the big party at the south station. This is the main CYC building. Don't forget to bring plenty of fenders and some long lines. We will launch out of Burnham Harbor. The hotel district is called 'The Loop'.

DIRECTIONS to Burnham - from 90/94 (the Dan Ryan) and 55 (the Stevenson)
- Take 55 east (marked south) toward the lake
- As you approach downtown, move to the left lane
- Take the left exit 'Lake Shore Drive North'
- On Lake Shore Drive, pass McCormick center
- Turn right on either East 18th drive or, a little further north, onto E Waldron
- Via the turn-around, pull in to the lot just south of the launch ramp
- You can rig / & set up there. However you can't park overnight.
- From Burnham it's about a 30 minute motoring up to CYC

Tip: On Sunday AM send a couple of guys to fetch the trailer. You can park it in the Burnham lot for the day. That way it's ready to go when you get in after the race. Leave plenty of time to get up to the club.

TRAILER PARKING - From Brunham Harbor
- Exit from E Waldron
- Take Lake Shore Drive south 1 1/2 miles
- Exit onto East 31st
- Near the top of the exit look for a hook right onto Moe Drive
- There is a commercial trailer park on your left

Jeff Bonvaillet had great luck using Priceline to get good hotel prices. He saved about $80 per night over what we paid last year, so I recommend trying it.
Best wishes,
Tom
Jeff Bonvallet

3 weeks to go

Post by Jeff Bonvallet »

We need to get at least 8 boats registered by May 19th in order to have a class. Anyone else coming???
Jeff Bonvallet #539
chriscraig99

Chicago NOOD

Post by chriscraig99 »

Relentless is planning on comming.
chriscraig99

Chicago NOOD

Post by chriscraig99 »

We (Relentless) just signed up. Only 3 boats so far. We need 5 more boats. $50 late fee after May 12th. That's this coming Monday. Mr. President I don't see your registration yet. Especially since you now live in Chicago.
Tom Elsen
Site Admin

Post by Tom Elsen »

Here's the report from my place (and it isn't good).....
I can't do Chicago NOODs this year. No joke.

Believe me, after moving here I was REALLY looking forward to it. Chicago is a GREAT venue. The parties at CYC are tons of fun. It has been a terrific venue for us 7.9ers and has always been a fixture on our sailing calendar.

But somehow, somebody at HQ forgot to take that in to account and scheduled some overseas nonsense.

SO...here's my penance.....

If we get a class start I'll buy the 1st and 2nd place boats each a bottle of Mt Gay rum. XO for the winners, Red Cap for 2nd place. If we don't get a class start I'll still buy Red Cap for the 1st place S2 7.9.

Airline size for Relentless. Standard size for everyone else. :))

Hope that this helps. Sadly, it won't help me.
Best wishes,
Tom
Jeff Bonvallet

Late fee kicks in today!!

Post by Jeff Bonvallet »

Tom, If we do not get a start, where will they put us? PHRF class is limited to 138 and faster?

Today is the last day to get registered and avoid the $50 late fee. Need to have a class formed by next Monday May 19th.
Jeff Bonvallet #539
chriscraig99

Chicago NOOD

Post by chriscraig99 »

Come on. What has this class come to. No start in the Chicago NOOD, but one in the Detroit NOOD. This will be the first time we haven’t had a class in Chicago in 20 years. Still have until Friday to get 5 more boats. Holland, Minnetonka, and Wisconsin boats where are you at?