1st mast raising

We request that you register on the site to post here. Replies to posts are open to all.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

USA 96

1st mast raising

Post by USA 96 »

Setting up our boat this weekend, and raising the mast. Any advice or step by step rules would be appreciated!! don't want any surprises.

Thanks in advance!

Jim Kloss

Re: 1st mast raising

Post by Jim Kloss »

There is a lot of information about mast raising in the misc section of the class website. Many boats use some sort of crane assembly to raise the mast (ours uses the spinnaker and whisker poles); ask the PO how they did it. Two strong guys can just muscle it up if necessary.

Good luck and have fun.

Jim Kloss
s/v Ambivalence
S2 7.9 #8
Bob Kirsten

Post by Bob Kirsten »

We raise it both on the trailer and at a jib boom when in the water.

If you like, a few comments about "in the water", because I just put her up last night. I built a "roller assembly" out of 2" PVC that stands about 6 ft tall at the back of the cockpit, and has a 6" trailer roller at the top. I have a stern rail, so it's easy to tie it up to that. We use this as the winter support for the mast and cover too. It is lightweight, and mine is at least 8 years old. With the boat in place at the jib boom, we first make sure all the lines and wires are OK, and the forestay is free. We attach all masthead stuff, ie: windvane, VHF antennae, etc. We go to the bow, and push the mast aft so that the mast base is in the tabernacle and we can put the big stainless bolt in (not too tight initially). The mast base will be secure at the pivot on the cabin top, and it will balance nicely at about a 15 degree up angle to the stern. We make sure the shrouds are clear. I have found it best to put a strap around the base of the shroud turnbuckles so they don't get kinked when the mast goes up. I also make sure the forestay is very loose, and only connect one side of the split backstay. You don't want to get it up and then find out you can't get a pin in the forestay connection.

We put the sling around the mast, over the lower shrouds, and just below the spreaders. The boat is positioned even with the crane or just aft about 6". You have to watch where the cable or crane arm might hit your windvane, and keep it clear. Be careful when you move around on the boat or have others jump on to help so that you don't get her rocking side to side and hit the cable. The upper and lower shrouds are connected, but loose. One of us get on the boat, and the other (my poor sainted wife) starts cranking on the jib boom winch. I keep my shoulder on the mast walking forward on the seats, then the cabin top to keep it from slanting over to one side. A shroud or backstay will always get hung up on something going up, so go slowly, and watch them to clear when needed. Make sure you don't kink the turnbuckles (like I did the first time). Once the mast is most of the way up I can push it the rest of the way and hold it. One trick to keep the forestay turnbuckle from marking up the deck - I tie a line to it, run it over the bow pulpit and back to the cockpit so I can pull it when needed, and keep it above the deck. One of us goes forward to the forestay and puts the pin in, and viola, mast is pointing to God's great heavens, and it should stay there. We connect the other side of the split backstay, then tighten up the forestay a bit.

From there, you are off to other steps like tuning the rig, etc. No sweat, no strain. I have been told that a couple of big guys could man handle the mast up with the base secured, but I am too old, and all my crew are daughters. I'll bet the mast weights a bit over 100lbs

Trailer raising has a bunch of good diagrams and write ups in the forum. It takes more time, with all the set-up, but many do it regularly.

My general recommendation to you would be that you can do it, but don't pick a windy day the first time, and keep checking to make sure everything is clear and ready to go.
Bob Kirsten - DD Mau
North Star Sail Club, Michigan
robert_kirsten@hotmail.com
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I deck stepped this year for the first time. It went pretty well. I used the spin pole out from the base of the mast with two sheets as guy wires. Tightened them down with a truckers hitch. I then used a sheet up to the spin halyward that was run through the top of the spin pole. That sheet ran to a block on the bow and then back to a winch.

One person winches, two people guided up the mast. With the backstay slacked (cascading style) we were able to pin the forestay without issue.

All went well except for a twisted turnbuckle because I did not pay close enough attention. So I replaced that shroud (fortunately I had a spare) and learned a lesson about securing those parts so they don't flop on deck during raising and get caught.

I plan to add some sort of stern support next fall for the lowering - we lifted the mast and set the pin in the base at the same time - not the easiest way to do it. I also think I might try it in the parking lot next time. Maybe a bit more stable on level ground?

All the info on the forum made this idea possible - otherwise I would have used our small crane, fine except it requires quite a few more people.

Gregg
Gregg
t'kela - #390
Portland, Maine
LarryE-old

Post by LarryE-old »

I have said, many times on this site, if you use the set up, given on this site, one person can do it alone. I have done it alone several times.
Just take the time to make sure everything is set up correctly and lower or raise away. If anything gets snagged, cleat off the line and take care of it.
EASY to do.
Purr-Fect
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

Gregg wrote:.

I plan to add some sort of stern support next fall for the lowering - we lifted the mast and set the pin in the base at the same time - not the easiest way to do it. I also think I might try it in the parking lot next time. Maybe a bit more stable on level ground?
Gregg
Gregg, glad it went up well. As for stern support we use a jack pole from a design we got from Doug Slade. It hangs on the pintles, has an inner section that slides up and we can pin it in place. I will take pics and make a drawing to post on HotTamaleRacing.com soon. We have always raised on the hard and the only thing to head to wind while raising.
Cheers!
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
dave

Post by dave »

For hand stepping any mast I always aim the boat and trailer downhill when possible. It makes a real difference in perceived effort and makes holding the mast up while the headstay is being attached, effortless to almost effortless.
USA 96

Post by USA 96 »

Raising it went well, except we had some forestay issues. When we got the boat I think a toggle was left off the turnbuckle and we didn't know any better. fortunately there was another S2 in the lot so we figured out we were missing fittings. Nothing worse that getting the stick up and not being able to pin the forestay.
dave

Post by dave »

:oops: :oops: :oops: