Keel?

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

carey

Keel?

Post by carey »

The boat had to be pulled out of the water.the lower half has a huge chunk missing and the upper trailing edge is gone!Six inchs down on the trailing edge has a crack half way to the front of the keel :( We hit the rock going about six knots and spun around and hit the rock side to?my question is if needed can I get a keel?
Gregg

Re: Keel?

Post by Gregg »

Last year I has a similar encounter - though with less damage it sounds like. I split the keep up the front for about 12", took a bite out of the front corner and crunched the back where it goes into the hull. I took it to a local boat repair guy who did a great job getting the keel back in shape. Do you have a repair shop nearby?

The bad news was it took 2.5 weeks out of prime sailing season - but I learned my lesson - avoid the rocks.

good luck,

Gregg
Gregg
t'kela - #390
Portland, Maine
dave

Post by dave »

Anything made from fiberglass is repairable, it's just a cost to repair/cost to replace issue. In the case the former gets the nod. When you have it fixed have that person look REALLY WELL at the glass skins that cover either side of the core. They do detach over time on some boats.................................... mine came completely off!!! :shock: :oops: Oh well, when I ever get the whole shebang rebuilt and the boat put back together at least it will be fair and straight this time! :roll:
carey

Post by carey »

keel is not as bad as we thought,the boat yard is one of the best in the chesapeake.Rocks on the other hand is very rare we have a sandy bottom the Chesapeake bay bride tunnel dumped HUGE rocks at the tunnel islands 60 yards away from years past!
carey

Post by carey »

My good friends at Wormley creek did a fantansic job on the keel picking her up tonight going sailing!Scott over at Taira told them how the board was made and its better then new! :D