S2 7.9 Tiller

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

gris-gris

S2 7.9 Tiller

Post by gris-gris »

Anyone have the tiller drawing? I think that it is B-251?? Or the dimensions?
H&L Marine Woodworks no longer has the info to replace my S2 7.9 tiller.
Ron
Ron Matthews
#480 gris-gris
Madison, AL
ronmatthews@knology.net
256-679-1943 (c)
Marionete

Re: S2 7.9 Tiller

Post by Marionete »

Ron;

I had the same issue with Hull #23. Contacted H&L to purchase 1/4 inch pieces of mahogany and ash slightly wider than the stock dimension and about an inch longer as well. Glued it all together with west system , clamped it in 5 spots and then shaped it usiing a table saw, belt sander and round over bit on a router.

It's just a straight (not curved) tiller, now outfitted with a new forespar extension and looks great.

I think the cost of the lumber was about $55.
Runaway
1982 #23
gris-gris

Post by gris-gris »

Thanks.

I'm not much of a woodworker, as evidenced by my "C" in junior high woodshop.
H&L quoted me about $95 based on my guestimated dimensions.
My son made some actual tiller measurements of the (broken) tiller on the boat, I wanted to confirm these before ordering from H&L:

base width: 3 1/4"
base height: 2 7/8"
base length: 9 1/4" (before start of taper
overall length: 3' 11 1/2"

The overall length does not include about 5" that broke off the tip right where the tiller extension fitting is. I plan to go with the shorter length (3' 11 1/2") to clear the mainsheet camcleats/swivel. I also plan a 2" rise for the same reason.
Ron Matthews
#480 gris-gris
Madison, AL
ronmatthews@knology.net
256-679-1943 (c)
dave

Post by dave »

The problem with a straight tiller is that you are loosing some leverage pulling at an upward angle. It may not seem to matter but steer a boat that way and then another identical boat where the tiller connector is high enough to where you basically have level pull and you WILL feel the difference. :wink:
Marionete

Post by Marionete »

Ron;

I modeled my remake after the broken one that came with the boat - and it was 52 inches long; I ordered 53 inch pieces from H&L but didn't include the 2 inch rise -
Runaway
1982 #23
Quinn McCarthy

Post by Quinn McCarthy »

Ron,

I just replaced mine last year. I made it out of 1/8" black ash and mohogany strips. Mine does about a 6" rise 6" from the end. It was a lot of fun to make. One of the hard parts was getting the clamping form right. I used west systems throughout the process. Maybe I could get a couple pictures to post. I didn't know if I would like the rise but I really do. It was well worth the effort.

If you go out to the Karl's boat shop web site you can see what I did there. Mine has just a little tighter radiuses than the one show there.

I was worried about how stiff it would be on the end of the tiller. I can clamp the aft end to my work bench and when I pull down on the other end there is no give at all.

I do custon caninets and furniture so I didn't have a woof working learning curve to come up.

If you want pictures of the rudder or glueing jib let me know. It turned out great looking I have gotten a lot of compliments on it.

Hope that helps.

Quinn
~~~~~Quinn McCarthy~~~~~
~~~~-Born 2 Run #545-~~~~
Marionete

Post by Marionete »

Ron;

Perhaps your tiller is from a different vintage than mine, but the base width I measure is 2 3/8 in order to fit the mounting hardware straps, which then brings the total width to 3 inches, just narrow enough to fit inside the cheekplates that measure 3 1/8 inside to inside. The height of the base is 2 inches.

I suppose this inside dimension is standard to accept a rudder head measuring 3 inches width as well -

On another subject, did you name your new S2 Runaway or did the previous owner?

:arrow: :mrgreen:
Runaway
1982 #23
Quinn McCarthy

Post by Quinn McCarthy »

Here are some pictures of the tiller handle I did for our boat.
~~~~~Quinn McCarthy~~~~~
~~~~-Born 2 Run #545-~~~~
Sam Buschell III

Post by Sam Buschell III »

I just ordered a new one from Rudder Craft after a catastrophic failure yesterday.
I'll report out once I have it installed.
Sam Buschell III

Photo of the failed tiller.
Pete

Post by Pete »

I replaced mine with a Catalina 25 tiller. Had a nice upward curve to it making it much more comfortable. Had to epoxy a small piece of teak to each side.
sailor536

Post by sailor536 »

Check Rudder Craft for a replacement tiller. I ordered a varnished one 2 years ago and it looks great.

Web site: https://ruddercraft.com

I think this is the tiller I ordered, but they have a few choices to select from

https://store.ruddercraft.com/index.php ... uct_id=416
Pete

Post by Pete »

Have a look at this.

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by- ... rly-cp-26/

Much cheaper than Rudder Craft. The upward curve is much better than the lower original. Mine has up held well over 7 years. I do refinish as needed.
Sam Buschell III

Replacement Rudder Craft Tiller.
Looks good. Can't wait to try it out.