7.9 Fixed Keel version

We request that you register on the site to post here. Replies to posts are open to all.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Stevem685

7.9 Fixed Keel version

Post by Stevem685 »

Hi Gang -

New to the site. I'm in Massachusetts and unfortunately we don't have a fleet in this region. I'm very interested in 7.9 lifting keel version but they are few and far between it seems. I do have a lead on a Fixed keel version that is a steal pricewise. Other than not being able to race one-design which isn't a problem here - what are the plusses/minuses to the boat. Obviously storage and trailerability - I'm more concerned about how the boat sails.

Thanks in advance - and if anyone knows of a 7.9 in Mass/RI/CT that is in reasonable shape - I'm all ears!

Steve
taylodp

Re: 7.9 Fixed Keel version

Post by taylodp »

I have a friend that has the fixed keel version and I recently purchased the daggerboard version. My friend has not had his in the water yet but he will shortly. I am waiting to see how we do against him. I will keep you informed.
MarkS2

Post by MarkS2 »

Taylodp:

I was wondering if you and your friemd had any time this summer to compare the Fin keel boat to the daggerboard version, if so what was the result?

-Marc
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

These 2 boats are totally different in sailing characteristics.

The fin keel has a double spreader mast head rig for a larger and more powerful sail plan. It typically rates in the 150 range PHRF.

The fin keel totally changes the way the boat drives on all angles.

From the PHRF racing side I'd go with the fin keel model every time. For ease of use, (launching, beaching) and OD sailing I'd go with the dagger board/frac rig model.