Traveler Upgrade - Access through bulkhead?

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

BitterGnat

Traveler Upgrade - Access through bulkhead?

Post by BitterGnat »

Hello Class Members!

We acquired Hull #394 this past year and enjoying it thoroughly. We've been working on updating a lot of of the outdated original deck hardware. This Christmas, Santa brought us a whole new traveler system. Being full sized adults with no access to tool savvy midgets, I was wondering if it was legal to cut access holes through the interior aft bulkheads (and install waterproof deck plates) so that we can get easy access to the traveler and backstay hardware on the inside of the lazerettes?

I understand that if it is not in the class approved modification rules, then don't do it. Just had to ask.

If not legal, I guess my next question is where does one hire/purchase a tool savvy midget? :lol:

Cheers!
The Hoppers
S2 7.9 "Super Gnat"
Hull #394
Rush Creek YC
Heath, TX
S2 7.9 "Super Gnat"
Hull #394
Rush Creek Yacht Club
Heath, TX
Sam Buschell III

Re: Traveler Upgrade - Access through bulkhead?

Post by Sam Buschell III »

I usually clean the lazarete area out and climb in.
It's a little claustrophobic, but my full sized body fits in.

Sam
BitterGnat

Post by BitterGnat »

Thanks for the reply, Sam. Did you notice where I was posting from? Everything is bigger in Texas! :D
S2 7.9 "Super Gnat"
Hull #394
Rush Creek Yacht Club
Heath, TX
BitterGnat

Post by BitterGnat »

So, figured I would relay the happy ending to this thread for those who would be interested.

Ended up not having to cut through the bulkhead, nor squeeze my walrus sized body into the laserette.....or even hire a midget. After spending a lot of time figuring things out, I realized that if I mounted the L-shaped "Melges 24" traveler brackets low enough, I would be able to reach the back of the screws from the cockpit. The lower position allows for easier uncleating of the lower cams when on the high side.

Anyhoo, we think it looks great and works much better than the old traveler and the old original Schaeffer cam cleats that came with the boat.

Cheers and thanks for the help!

S2 7.9 "Super Gnat"
Hull #394
Rush Creek Yacht Club
Heath, TX
Pete

Post by Pete »

Boy, I like it ! Been thinking about doing the same thing. J24's have been doing this as well. Thanks for posting.
Brett U

Post by Brett U »

That looks like a great upgrade. But what really caught my eye are those snazzy cup holders! Where did you get those? The market is plagued with suction cup crap and models that are barely wide enough for a beer can.
BarryE

Post by BarryE »

About those "Melges 24" brackets. I was wondering where you got them?
Pete

Post by Pete »

Hello. Try 'Mauri Pro Sailing'. Let us know will you? Thanks
BarryE

Post by BarryE »

OK- I found them...for anyone who's interested; "Traveler Cam Brackets" For J-22 and Sonar (and apparently S2 7.9) from Performancesailingparts.com ; part # OBM002 $50
BitterGnat

Post by BitterGnat »

Got the brackets from sail22.com. They are the old style. A bit pricey, but worth it. I've had issues getting stuff from Mauri and Performance. They seem to always have the low prices, but never have the stuff when you order.

Cupholders are essential in Texas! These are the soft versions from Beckson:

https://www.beckson.com/hh6.html

Raced our first race of the year last night. No more whining from the main trimmer/helmsperson/wife!
S2 7.9 "Super Gnat"
Hull #394
Rush Creek Yacht Club
Heath, TX
Pete

Post by Pete »

BTW I found dyneema on Amazon at a fraction of the marine store prices. Apparently it is commonly used on off road vehicles. Simply search 'dyneema'.