Canadian requirement for pump out head.

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Sam Buschell

Canadian requirement for pump out head.

Post by Sam Buschell »

I have a question for Canadian S2 7.9 owners.
I’m going to cruise my boat through the North Channel of Lake Huron this summer. I’ve been made aware of a pump out head with deck fitting requirement. Has anyone made this modification to his or her boat? I would hate to drill the hole. Does anyone have experience with enforcement of this regulation or any stories?
Thank you.
Sam
Sam
Mark Gutteridge

Post by Mark Gutteridge »

I believe if you comply with the US requirements you should be covered in CDN waters.
You must not have a head or holding tank that is not capable of being pumped or drained overboard.My big fat boat has a thru hull that was intended originally for salt water.By law in inland waters it has to and is disconnected from the holding tank and is capped.
The portipoti is fine to have on board the S2.The contents must be disposed of at a pump out.
If you want to actually read the law you can go to the Govt. of Canada website.It is covered under under The Canada Shipping Act.
Chimo;
Guts ,Hunting Party #448.
Mark Gutteridge

That should read.You must not have a head or holding tank that is capable of being discharged overboard.Or better yet read the act and make your own decision.It pretty clear to me that if you comply with the US regs you are ok.The only time I have ever seen fines levied is at Mac after the Bayview race.The guy had oil in his bilge and pumped it overboard.He left the dock in handcuffs.
Guts.
Sam Buschell

Portable Toilets

Post by Sam Buschell »

This is from Canadian Coast Guard Website.
I'm not sure if it is new, but it is pretty clear.

http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/obs-bsn/facts/foreign_e.htm#6

Portable Toilets
Portable toilets are illegal on Ontario waters.

The owner of a pleasure craft shall ensure that each toilet and the holding tank(s) is/are installed so that;

The toilet and equipment are connected in such a manner that the equipment receives all toilet waste from the toilet.
Equipment designed for the storage of human excrement is provided with a deck fitting and such connecting piping as is necessary for the removal of toilet waste by shore-based pumping equipment.
No means of removal of toilet waste is provided other than the means mentioned above.
All parts of the system for removal of toilet waste are congruent with one another and the boat.
Sam
Mark Gutteridge

Sam;
I stand corrected .I was reading from a different act.It did not specifically mention portable toilets.
Do what you think you gotta do.
How do I remove my two previous posts?
Guts.
Sam Buschell

Pump out Head

Post by Sam Buschell »

Mark, I didn't mean to correct you.
I hope I didn't offend.
I guess I'll drill and epoxy a hole for the deck fitting and run a hose to the porta potti. My head has a fitting on it already.
I sure hate new holes.
Take care.
Sam
Sam
badhabits

Re: Canadian requirement for pump out head.

Post by badhabits »

How would one install standard boat head(toilet) , not portable, on s2 7.9?
BarryE

Post by BarryE »

Did it many years ago. I took the 5-6 gallon gray water tank that's under the port side v-berth and spun it around to the starboard side. Then I plumbed in a regular head. Flush water comes from a 1 gallon gray water tank that is connected to the sink. I pour a little head treatment down the sink into the 1 gallon tank. Pump-out is located on deck just forward of the bulkhead. Vent line is in the cabin side just forward of the bulkhead just above the T-track. There are no thru-hulls involved. Deck pump out only. This has worked well since 1997. Good for a week- end with mom, sis, niece, and most importantly my wife.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Hello. We've cruised the west half of Lake Erie for years and have never encountered an inspection . We have a porta potti which I always carry into our clubhouse toilet.