Ice box

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

DougH

Ice box

Post by DougH »

Anyone have success improving the ice box's ability to stay cold by adding insulation? I'm assuming a proper lid that seals and also is insulated would help as well. I am not wanting to add a stand alone store bought cooler unless I have to. The S2 27 that I used to own had an ice box that would keep ice from melting for 3-4 days even in hot weather.
Pete

Re: Ice box

Post by Pete »

I glued a 2 inch piece of styrofoam to the underside of the lid. Then removed the sink to gain access to the areas surrounding the underside of cooler box. Added some length of tubing to the spray can of lumber store spray foam insulation. With a small mirror and light juiced the goo all around the cooler. There was no insulation. Cheap and easy and worked like gangbusters, Nothing to lose and I don't know of a better way. Good luck.
DougH

Post by DougH »

Thanks for that Pete. I suspected that might be the case (poor or no insulation). I suppose given the likely design use of the 7.9 icebox (just keep the beer cold until after the day's racing), S2 can be excused.

Adding insulation as you did will make a nice little project...

-Doug
Sam Buschell III

Post by Sam Buschell III »

I've had water overflow in heavy weather / heeling on longer trips, soaking the port berth.
My lesson learned, keep the melt water from accumulating by draining daily on a trip.
There is a hose with a ball valve under the berth on our boat to help with this.
Don't drink the water accidentally while establishing a siphon! ;)

Sam