Mast raising system

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

normbue

Mast raising system

Post by normbue »

Hey guys.. I'm looking for a good way to raise and lower the mast while the boat is on the trailer. I have a system now that seemed to work pretty well, until I dropped the mast from halfway up. Fortunately nothing was hurt or broke. I'm looking for a simpler more fool proof way. I've seen some on the web, but wondered how others with 7.9 do it.
SailingUphill

Re: Mast raising system

Post by SailingUphill »

This will work on the trailer or in the water. Mast upper on pintles, and A-frame forward. I use the mainsheet to lower the mast. This picture was shortly after I lowered the mast myself.
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
LarryE

Post by LarryE »

I copied the one off this site.
Done it may times, right by myself. Must have done it 25 times.
Works like a charm. Just make sure everything is hooked up properly.
Stef

Post by Stef »

I have also used the one from this site. Utilizes spinnaker pole. Done it 12-13 times, works well when short handed.

I made a telescoping pole with roller that sits on pintles. Gets mast to almost 35 degrees. Only use that when putting it up.
Stef
Odyssey #146
normbue

Post by normbue »

Thanks guys! I use the pivot method they show here. But couldn't figure out how to use the pole properly, so I used a 2X8, which has worked fine for a couple of years, until I got sloppy, or stupid. It sure is impressive when that big stick comes crashing down. Fortunately, it landed right in the crutch and bounced around but nothing was hurt or damaged. Think I'll try the pole next time.
eodum

Post by eodum »

I am trying to use the one listed on this site but am missing something and caused some damage to the mast....took about a dime sized chunk of aluminum out of the bottom of the mast by the plug/shoe.

The halyards attached to turnbuckle-rod assembly along with another line that attaches to the spin pole (lets call them the support lines)....the instructions say the halyards need to be snug but not tight....but there is no explanation of what makes the halyards tight....they can't be tied to anything as the length of the halyards increases as the mast is raised. How do you control the halyards to make them snug and to provide support to the mast so that it doesn't topple (as it did with me, yesterday)
reidmefirst

Post by reidmefirst »

The real 'trick' with the mast raising system is that you want those turnbuckle setups to keep your halyards (the temporary sidestays for the mast) at the same height as the bolt that goes through the mast stepping plate/mast boot. The bolt is a pivot point for the mast. If you keep the turnbuckle systems such that they are at that height, then the halyards will stay at the same tension during the whole raising process.

If you really want to tune the raising system, go to the hardware store and buy a piece of dowel rod a few feet long. Ideally you could find 3/8" diamter dowel (I believe that's the diameter of the factory bolt that goes through the mast shoe). Just make sure that it's a good straight piece and isn't curvy. Stick it in your mast stepping plate with your mast shoe sitting in the stepping plate. Make the turnbuckle setups such that the ring where you attach your halyard sits at the same height as the dowel when the dowel is sticking inside of the mast shoe, and that the ring is in-line with the dowel: it should not be forward, aft, above, or below the dowel, but should right in line with it the dowel. This should prevent any problems with changing halyard tension while raising and lowering the mast. The whole mast system will rotate and those halyards-acting-as-sidestays will remain as tense as you made them to start with. No more, no less.
eodum

Post by eodum »

Excellent advice....makes sense.