Mast wiring and lights

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Mookie

Mast wiring and lights

Post by Mookie »

Hello all,

We predominantly race #279, but the mast is in the barn at the moment for new parts, and I’m contemplating the lights and wiring. The big question is where does the mast wiring exit inside the boat? That would be wonderful to know. Our mast step has been rebuilt, and lacks any evidence of mast wiring. From photos it looks like wiring penetrates the deck just aft of the mast, which puts it inside the forward brace for the mast trunk, I think. Where does it exit into the interior? I’m running wires to mount depth on the mast, so I need to figure this out.

Now, for lights. The wiring issue is solved with the first paragraph, but how many people still have mast lights? We’ll need them at some point for cruising, but are they that big of a liability for racing? Should we leave them off for now? Or just take care of it all now?

Thank you.
Sam Buschell III

Re: Mast wiring and lights

Post by Sam Buschell III »

Ours has a small gap at the bottom of the angled brace in the cabin.
It exits in the "bilge" area under the v berth.
From there it runs to starboard under the head.

Sam
Mookie

Re: Mast wiring and lights

Post by Mookie »

Thank you Sam! They were exactly where you said, and I don’t know if I would have ever found them without your description. Nice design, also, because any leaks from the deck are directed straight into the bilge. Now I just need to drill through the stack of G10 plates that comprise our mast step...