Downhaul Question ?

We request that you register on the site to post here. Replies to posts are open to all.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Rudeman

Downhaul Question ?

Post by Rudeman »

Out racing a 7.9 yesterday (not mine) in roughly 15 true, on the downhill it was evident that without using the twings, it is really tough to keep the pole in check when working deep angles. It appears the main cause is that the downhaul is to close to the mast to get sufficient leverage to keep the pole down. Thus two questions...

1) Is it class legal to move the downhaul down and forward for better leverage ?

2) Has anyone done so ?
Steve Bowen

Post by Steve Bowen »

Don't know about the class-legal question since I race PHRF - but we have installed a rope bridle, which is tied off on each end to the toe rails, and have a snatch block clipped to the bridle that we run the downhaul line through, and then aft through the block at the base of the mast. This gives a much better angle to hold the pole down. It also results in less topping lift/downhaul adjustments when the pole needs to be adjusted, since the snatch block can slide outboard on the bridle when the pole goes aft.

If the above is prohibited in one-design, I strongly recommend a backing plate underneath the stand-up block. We had water intrusion into the cabin top due to excessive flexing there, & had to replace a couple square feet of the balsa core in that area.
Sam Buschell

Post by Sam Buschell »

The great thing about having the downhaul where it is at is when the pole is moved for/aft no downhaul adjustment is necessary.
When we sail downwind the pole side twing and the downhaul are both on hard.
We put both twings on before the bybe and then ease the sheet side if necessary.
Sam
Norwalk-ROTC

Post by Norwalk-ROTC »

Just a curiousity question - to what are you referring with the term "twing"? I am not familiar with that word.
Thanks
Sam Buschell

Post by Sam Buschell »

Some call them twings, some call them tweakers, some both.
They are the control that pulls the spinnaker sheets down towards the toe rail behind the second lifeline stanchion.
Sam
Norwalk-ROTC

Post by Norwalk-ROTC »

Okay, I guess I can see that. Would they be the same as the "barber"?

I guess I would need to attach a block to the toe rail there too - right?
Sam Buschell

Post by Sam Buschell »

On most boats there is a cam cleat and fair-lead mounted near the rail close to the cockpit.
Through that cam runs a line that goes through a block shackled to the toe-rail just aft of the second lifeline stanchion and is then attached to the spinnaker sheet with a shackle or a small block.
I have used the tweakers as a barber hauler when reaching with the 155.
Sam
Norwalk-ROTC

Post by Norwalk-ROTC »

Thanks, this is all very helpful. We am learning much about the 7.9 from this forum.
Stef

Post by Stef »

I am new to sailing and sailing my 7.9 all summer. I have flown the spinnaker several times, the first time was a joke, but we are getting handy at it now. I have not used anything but the spinnaker sheet and pole of course, no twing or tweaker but I do have that cam lock on the deck behind the second stanchion and haven't figured our what it was for. Is the tweaker the same as a afterguy? Any diagrams on this setup? It seems to fly OK without it!
Stef
Odyssey #146
Barry

Post by Barry »

The original question hasn't been answered. Yes, you can relocate the spin pole downhaul block. Rule A2. B9
The original location was close to the mast, if you move it forward, to the front edge of the cabin top, you can work it in oposition to the guy for better for and aft control.

Barry E
Aeolus #11

:arrow: :idea: :arrow: Hey Barry, thanks for citing the chapter and verse. I was waiting for somebody to do so. The more members who read the rules, the better off we all are.