Front Hatch Advice?

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

AJ Oliver

Front Hatch Advice?

Post by AJ Oliver »

OK, time for off-season fixes . . .
Is there any consensus on the best front hatch
between the Bowmar 966, and the Lewmar Trimline 40?
And do I have those numbers correct?
Any suggestions on removal of the old and/or
installation of the new?
Thanks, AJ Oliver, # 445, Sandusky Sailing Club
Stef

Re: Front Hatch Advice?

Post by Stef »

I just did that repair/replace last year off season. I went with the Lewmar Trimline 40. There was a Lewmar 40 in there to start with, but not the trimline (not sure what the difference really is). It was fairly straight forward and a direct replacement as it fit exactly the same. Followed another posts advice on this and used plenty of sealer. Hatch has been working great, and no leaks.

They say the Lewmar has a replaceable window, not sure that's the case with Bowmar.

In our fleet, hull #100 replaced his hatch 2 seasons ago, and he went with the Bowmar. He has no complaints either.
Stef
Odyssey #146
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

AJ,
We replaced with a Bowmar on Hot Tamale (#477). Had to adjust the OEM hole just a bit. No problems except that it seems a little flexible under my 200lbs. Well, I'm off the foredeck now...
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
taylodp

Post by taylodp »

I replaced the forward hatch on Wind's Choice (#107) several months ago and went with the Bowmar 966. It fit right in and have had no leaks or other issues.
Runaway

Post by Runaway »

Another hatch option is through Vetus. The dimensions fit the Bowmar opening a little better and you can also purchase an interior trim piece. I installed one in hull 23 about 5 years ago and am very pleased with the results. Vetus quality is on par with Lewmar.
Runaway
1982 #23